KDE's Painting/Image Program Now Uses OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Temar View Post
    Holy shit, if that's the todo list for 2.10, the next GIMP release seems like years away.
    Depends... I think the creation of GEGL and porting of the core of the GIMP to it was slow because it's probably hard to work on that with a lot of developers at the same time, while most of the items on that todo list can be worked on in parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathroom Humor View Post
      Paint.net is a really nice image editor for the people with less-than-professional needs (I.E. most computer users).
      Paint.net is a piece of crap. There's no serious use case for it, if you need to do anything more complex than what is available at toy programs like mspaint, then you're much better off just using GIMP.

Also, the developer of paint.net is a microsoft fanboy who guards the source code of the program so paranoidly that it's almost impossible for anyone other than a select inner circle to create plugins for the software, as there's no decent documentation of the api or anything, and then he also places silly artificial limitations on what plugins are allowed to do, because they "don't fit his vision" or somesuch crap. It's quite ridiculous. I was using xp at the time, and I finally abandoned paint.net when the developer said that the next version would no longer support windows xp, regardless that xp still had the majority of market share on the windows side back then. Then I switched to gimp, and pretty soon after that, to linux. The culture of freedom around GIMP was so refreshing after all that garbage, that it encouraged me to seek the same freedom in my operating systems as well.

People badmouth gnome and gimp developers for not listening to the users or some crap, but those people are just spoiled, they should go take a look at the small-mindedness of developers of closed-source software to get some perspective...

/rant

Anyway, on topic, it's good to see my favorite painting program getting another update. I'll be looking forward to using it.

Also, to those badmouthing gimp here, Krita may seem like it's ahead of gimp in functionality - and on many areas, it is! But Krita isn't perfect (although it is a great program): it is also suffering from some bugs, there's slowness in other areas - like development of decent documentation, which on the other hand is excellent on the gimp side. There are also some features that are far more advanced on gimp. The point is, that these programs complement each other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. And GIMP's development is far from static, it may seem slow at times, but GIMP has tended to have a longer release cycle because they dump a huge batch of new features in each new point release - whereas Krita's releases have been much more granular. That's also changing, supposedly - GIMP developers have planned on shortening their release cycle, but we'll have to wait and see how that pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
        Holy shit, if that's the todo list for 2.10, the next GIMP release seems like years away.
        Depends on whether they're actually necessary, I guess. This work represents a port from the old frameworks to GEGL, and while that work is important in terms of new features it enables, I don't think there's any loss of existing functionality while still in progress. So they *could* release a 2.10 without every single one of the filters ported. Some are more important than others, afterall... stuff like brightness/contrast manipulation presumably rates more highly than a random maze renderer.

Comment

Working...
        X