• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    for mesa, llvm needs to be in shared mode
    This is no longer required.

Comment

At least up to rc-2 it was required when enabling opencl.
      I have not tried fiddling with it in the master branch.

Comment

Well I managed to install everything, but a simple test from here http://wiki.tiker.net/OpenCLHowTo crashes...
        That how to is for the Catalyst driver. I am not sure it should work with the OSS driver.
        Look here for opencl on mesa/gallium (examples at the bottom of the page):

While those worked for me (reported succcess, the GPU was reset after each test (gpu hang for more than 10000 msecs dmesg error). Maybe they are designed to be run without an X server.

Comment

Oh I was just using the simple test from that page nothing more.

I also tried the opencl examples linked in the wiki, and about 1/3 of them fail :/

How did you get them all to pass? Did you run them without X?

Comment

Oh I was just using the simple test from that page nothing more.

I also tried the opencl examples linked in the wiki, and about 1/3 of them fail :/

How did you get them all to pass? Did you run them without X?
            I ran everything from within X (i dont remember seeing anything about not using it with the simple tests) and i got gpu resets all over the place but most reported pass. Might be some failed, ill have to check again sometimes. First time i tried none worked and i recompiled everything - llvm+clang (aded the shared option that might have been the problem previously), mesa, drm, glamor, xf86-ati. Then they worked, but as i said i had gpu resets which might or might not be ok.

Also note that opencl/llvm git are quite unstable on mesa. I pulled the latest git (it said version 3.5svn) of llvm and clang, recompiled mesa and x restarted when i started libreoffice after a few seconds. After restart i observed that glamor wouldnt work anymore and x was started with exa rendering despite having explicitly set glamor in the xorg.conf. It seems that it started, crashed and started automatically again with auto settings which in my case its exa. Tried restarting the lightdm server a few times, but every time glamor crashed. I didnt have the time to mess around so i recompiled mesa without llvm which works with no issues.

So dont get your hopes up, opencl/llvm is very much a work in progress prone to breakage if you use the latest version with the latest features, dont try to use it for anything serious ATM.

Comment

I don't have glamor and xf86-ati in git version, let me try that

Comment

I don't have glamor and xf86-ati in git version, let me try that
                exact same results:
                43 passes, 28 fails
                ;/

Comment

exact same results:
                  43 passes, 28 fails
                  ;/
                  Do you get gpu resets? The screen goes blang then comes back in .

Comment

Nope it's completely stable (well XBMC will crash after a few seconds in a movie so maybe not that stable.. ), no reset that I can see while running the tests, nothing in dmesg

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                      This is no longer required.
                      When i first compiled (llvm without this option) it took a few hours to complete. I got a huge package after that and when i compiled the rest of the stuff i got crashes and errors in virtually all opengl apps. After compiling with this option, i had a reasonable 60 MB deb package and no issues until i recompiled with the 3.5 git llvm right after 3.4 was launched i think, where glamor crashed the x server.

Comment

Working...
                      X