Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Mesa Newbie Project Already Underway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Mesa Newbie Project Already Underway

    Phoronix: A Mesa Newbie Project Already Underway

    Just yesterday I wrote about easy projects for new developers to get involved with the open-source Mesa graphics drivers and already a set of 17 patches have appeared by a new open-source developer for implementing one of the "easy" OpenGL changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyNTk

  • #2
    I would love to start with the newbie projects, but I will not have the time until January. I hope there are some still missing by that time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Make it easy and they'll come.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Make it easy and they'll come.
        Well, that's the idea. Some of us aren't that smart to just guess how to code drivers (although someone with a CS degree probably should have some idea, I don't know)
        Anyway, I would prefer it not to be just a "I'll take your hand approach", but having an explanation of the process that leads to the exposed walk through, as that's what will make me able to repeat the thinking procedure. For example, to point me to the OpenGL reference for the extension (I already know how to find it, but I don't know if everyone can get to it through intuition only), and what I have to focus in when reading it (that I don't know, for example). How do they get to the conclusion you need to modify those functions, etc. Otherwise, I do not know about everyone else, but I will probably get stuck in the easy projects.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well done!

          To the new developers getting stuck in, I say well done and a big thank you form those of us who cant.

          I may not be able to code, but I am always looking to use Open Source solutions with a donation or support contract to the creators or community to use for my clients where possible.

          Once again good works guys!

          Comment


          • #6
            I just came to point out they did put a quick link to the reference of each extension. I just didn't notice it, despite being in the title.

            Comment


            • #7
              know that feel bro!

              Originally posted by kwagga View Post
              To the new developers getting stuck in, I say well done and a big thank you form those of us who cant.

              I may not be able to code, but I am always looking to use Open Source solutions with a donation or support contract to the creators or community to use for my clients where possible.

              Once again good works guys!
              I like to report bugs and help people using free software. But this is a very nice initiative. :-)

              Comment


              • #8
                I've got to say congrats to all who have gone in and gotten their hands dirty already I wish many happy patches upon you!

                Giving back to the community is something I would love to do, but as with most geeks I already have way too much on my plate and more ideas/projects/apps coming in from friends that'll totally make us rich every other week. One day!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
                  I've got to say congrats to all who have gone in and gotten their hands dirty already I wish many happy patches upon you!

                  Giving back to the community is something I would love to do, but as with most geeks I already have way too much on my plate and more ideas/projects/apps coming in from friends that'll totally make us rich every other week. One day!
                  And that day, you can donate some money to mesa

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    And that day, you can donate some money to mesa
                    It's definitely something I would like to do too.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X