Mesa Gets Two New OpenGL 4.x Support Patch Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a user View Post
    interesting suggestion but this would not explain why the unigine demos all claim the very same OpenGL version and tell me missing geometric shaders:
    This sounds like you're using Mesa from recent git, but an X server that cannot load "megadrivers", so it loads swrast server side. This leaves you without GLX_ARB_create_context_profile and without that you can't create core (GL 3.1+) profiles.

Try updating your X server to the latest git, or just cherry-pick fd1b24a93e to your 1.14 X server.

(And also update glxinfo for good measure)

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
      This sounds like you're using Mesa from recent git, but an X server that cannot load "megadrivers", so it loads swrast server side. This leaves you without GLX_ARB_create_context_profile and without that you can't create core (GL 3.1+) profiles.

Try updating your X server to the latest git, or just cherry-pick fd1b24a93e to your 1.14 X server.

thank you very much for your infos. i will check that out and report back if it helps.

anyhow, thank you for trying to help!

Comment

interesting suggestion but this would not explain why the unigine demos all claim the very same OpenGL version and tell me missing geometric shaders:
        Code:
        Unigine fatal error
        GLRender::require_extension(): required extension GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 is not supported
        Mesa 10 supports GL3.2/GLSL 1.50 geometry shaders, not the GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 extension. There are some subtle differences.

Comment

Disregard that -- apparently unigine only looks for the extension when it can't make a core context.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
            Disregard that -- apparently unigine only looks for the extension when it can't make a core context.
            what does that mean?

Comment

what does that mean?
              It means there are two methods to program geometry shaders. One is through the method adopted through the OpenGL 3.2 standardisation process as part of GLSL-1.5 support. Prior to GL3.2/GLSL-1.5, they could be exposed through the GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 extension.

Comment

ah, ok. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post

>cherry-pick fd1b24a93e

what do you mean by that, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get the core profile reported, but I'm not able to build the latest git of Xorg (for a number of reasons: error in compiling, and when it does compile, I get ABI compatibility errors).

It seems like the latest pulls of the 1.15 rc branch are causing issues because the drivers haven't been updated for the new ABI.

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
                    >cherry-pick fd1b24a93e

what do you mean by that, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get the core profile reported, but I'm not able to build the latest git of Xorg (for a number of reasons: error in compiling, and when it does compile, I get ABI compatibility errors).

It seems like the latest pulls of the 1.15 rc branch are causing issues because the drivers haven't been updated for the new ABI.
                    Nevermind, I figured it out. I applied this patch to the latest 1.14 xserver: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...348b8eceaeb893

And now I'm getting my core profile exposed:

Code:
                    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN
                    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.0-devel (git-b35ea09)
                    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
                    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                    OpenGL core profile extensions:
                    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.0.0-devel (git-b35ea09)
                    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                    OpenGL context flags: (none)
                    OpenGL extensions:
                    Awesome!

Comment

This is a bit of an old thread, so my apologies for resurrecting it, but I noticed that my X server stopped reporting the core version again -- despite the previously mentioned patches being applied to 1.14. Is there anything that happened that requires additional work?

Comment

Working...
                      X