Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curaga
    replied
    (forgot to mention: my hw list was for accelerated decoding in general. I don't know if all that hw is 10-bit capable.)

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    So help me out here - gotta admit I'm not really au fait with all this 'state tracker' stuff. Executive summary: does this mean we'll get trouble-free HW-accelerated decoding of hi10p in XBMC running on top of...open drivers? Proprietary drivers? In the fairly near term? What would be the oldest HW that would support this decoding? Thanks!
    Open drivers, near term, all AMD cards with UVD 2.2 and up:

Most of hd4000, everything of hd5000 and up.

Leave a comment:

• [Knuckles]
    replied
    Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
    Thanks. Compiled fine with trivial fix of placing ":" instead of ";" in second part of first patch. However does not seem to get picked up by XBMC where it still is using "ff-h264" for decoding at least in my case
    I heard somewhere that XBMC was forcing all 10-bit to sw decoding as it never (until now it seems) worked.

But yeah, I can't believe I'm writing this, but if it works fine I might end trading the nvidia gpu on my media center pc with an amd one, as right now I need a very heavy overclock (+1GHz) to play 10-bit 1080p content perfectly (not a very recent CPU).

Leave a comment:

• pandev92
    replied
    good news, because I have more of 400 gb of anime...

Leave a comment:

• ryszardzonk
    replied
    Originally posted by fritsch View Post
    For those playing with it, i missed to squash a commit before posting, which resulted in a build error. Should work now: http://sprunge.us/WacV
    Thanks. Compiled fine with trivial fix of placing ":" instead of ";" in second part of first patch. However does not seem to get picked up by XBMC where it still is using "ff-h264" for decoding at least in my case

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Some features I'd like to see in the VDPAU state tracker:

High quality deinterlacing: DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL and DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL

High quality scaling: HIGH QUALITY SCALING - L1 (even this would be enough which is all my nvidia card supports)

Not sure if these are strictly nvidia hardware based or if it can be done on Radeon hardware as well.

On a somewhat related note, I'd like to see triple buffered vsync for all of the Mesa drivers. Yeah, it takes more memory but it's superior to regular vsync when performance is needed (and tends to lower input lag a bit as well)

Leave a comment:

• fritsch
    replied
    For those playing with it, i missed to squash a commit before posting, which resulted in a build error. Should work now: http://sprunge.us/WacV

Leave a comment:

• przemoli
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    So help me out here - gotta admit I'm not really au fait with all this 'state tracker' stuff. Executive summary: does this mean we'll get trouble-free HW-accelerated decoding of hi10p in XBMC running on top of...open drivers? Proprietary drivers? In the fairly near term? What would be the oldest HW that would support this decoding? Thanks!
    1) Mesa is about providing unified FRONT END for gpu drivers.
    2) This is acheaved by common API entry points (classic + gallium) and some common helper code (classic + gallium) and with State Trackers (gallium).
    3) State trackers try to implement given API (OpenGL, OpenGL ES, OpenMAX, etc.) in general terms. Leaving blank spaces for dealing with actuall hardware.
    4) Drivers fill in that blanks with actuall code.
    5) This way, repeatable code IS NOT repeated in all those drivers.

(And obviously, if someone advance or create State tracker, other gallium drivers can build on that code -> Nouveau theam is usually fast to add any needed code if AMD crew add something to OpenGL State tracker. Which benefit them greatly due to small HR pool)

So:
    State tracker means possibility of supporting something. GPU drivers must support it too thoug to make it work.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Yes, it's custom decoding hardware. Compare it to PureVideo on NVidia gpus.
    So Radeon GPUs can decode high 10 profile? Which GPUs have this capability?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    I don't know much about UVD... Is this a dedicated DSP for decoding and if not, is it any better than just using software?
    Yes, it's custom decoding hardware. Compare it to PureVideo on NVidia gpus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X