Hi10P Support Proposed For VDPAU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archibald View Post
    A chip hard-wired to decode video in particular formats.
    So the cards have an ASIC for hi10p decoding? Why was this never advertised or exposed in any of the other drivers? (Catalyst, Windows, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      So the cards have an ASIC for hi10p decoding? Why was this never advertised or exposed in any of the other drivers? (Catalyst, Windows, etc.)
      No it's integrated on the GPU die. It's called UVD.

Comment

Does anyone know the answer to johnc's question:
        What AMD GPUs can decode Hi10P videos with its dedicated hardware video decoder (ie. UVD)?

Or am I misunderstanding the article and this is just to put in hooks so when GPUs have hardware video decoders that support Hi10P, VDPAU will be able to make use of it at that point?

Comment

You guys aren't getting what johnc is asking. It's since when do these dedicated decoders decode hi10p and why isn't it advertised? Because common knowledge is that hi10p isn't supported.

So again: Why isn't hi10p support advertised anywhere? And where a list of which hardware exactly supports hi10p?

Comment

The "fun" part of this news is that according to an nvidia engineer here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...hp?t=164684#12
            it is not supported by the decoding hardware of nvidia cards.

I also wonder why an ASIC is present on Radeon-cards and this was never advertised. Some year ago I was specifically searching for this to select hardware capable of this - but I could not find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              You guys aren't getting what johnc is asking. It's since when do these dedicated decoders decode hi10p and why isn't it advertised? Because common knowledge is that hi10p isn't supported.

So again: Why isn't hi10p support advertised anywhere? And where a list of which hardware exactly supports hi10p?
              In the OpenMAX thread AMD engineers (agd5f & Deathsimple) said that it should work. Meaning that all is done in the dedicated engine (UVD) and not on shaders or software, etc. I hope this clears it up. I'm eager to see it in action!
              I think the marketing department never really understood that anime fans would kill for this feature...

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
                I hope this clears it up.
                No, it doesn't. It doesn't say which exact hardware supports it. Can't be all of it, because if HD4000 or HD5000 supported it, it would for sure be known by now. If support is there, it must be fairly new. And that's a big "if", I'm skeptical that there's support on *any* hardware, because if AMD added hi10p but didn't mention it to anyone, that's quite high levels of stupidity.

Comment

No, it doesn't. It doesn't say which exact hardware supports it. Can't be all of it, because if HD4000 or HD5000 supported it, it would for sure be known by now. If support is there, it must be fairly new. And that's a big "if", I'm skeptical that there's support on *any* hardware, because if AMD added hi10p but didn't mention it to anyone, that's quite high levels of stupidity.
                  Guessing:
                  It could be an limitation of DXVA on windows. This could mean that what everybody assumed was hardware limitation was in fact just software limitations.

The only known fact is that hardware from nvidia does not support hi10p in hardware.

Looking at http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/UVD3_whitepaper.pdf it does mention 10 bit colour processing. Considering this and the fact that ATI was famous for their video support, I would not be very surprised if all versions of UVD turns out to supports 10 bit hardware decode.

Comment

I guess we'll just have to wait for somebody to try it.

Comment

And that's a big "if", I'm skeptical that there's support on *any* hardware, because if AMD added hi10p but didn't mention it to anyone, that's quite high levels of stupidity.
                      Never underestimate the stupidity of a corporation. Remember how the hw also supported H.264 level 5 but the software didn't allow it? Or how Nvidia's cards could do four screens in Mosaic mode but the drivers limit it now to three.

Comment

Working...
                      X