OpenGL 3.3 Support Lands In Mesa! Possible Mesa 11.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusing

Just because they are completing two versions of OpenGL at once (3.2 and 3.3), that doesn't mean they have to jump two numbers as well.

I think it would cause unnecessary confusion.

Mesa 8 brought OpenGL 3.0, Mesa 9 brought 3.1 When they completed ES 3.0, that didn't necessitate any version increase at all even though they met a new specification.

Comment

GL4.txt

Also, the thought occurs to me that perhaps with the full OpenGL 3.x capability being completed as far as Mesa is concerned, when will we see the emergence of the GL4.txt file?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I'm 99% sure that for r600g, the only thing missing is the geometry shader hardware support. And then setting the boolean flags to tell gallium to enable full 3.3 support.

It's not clear if anyone is actually working on that, though. The usual suspect would be Marek, but he seems to be working more on SI support now that he's at AMD, along with their other employees. And some of the other volunteer coders have been pretty quiet lately. Maybe they've got a private branch where they're working on it.

Also, it sounds like LLVMPipe is very close to getting full 3.3 support as well. A VMWare employee is working on the last necessary extension, and then they just need to fake AA support and it should be ready to go.
        Vadim, did some initial work for geometry shaders for r600g:

The major hurdle remaining for the software drivers (softpipe, llvmpipe) is MSAA support.

Comment

I'd vote for Mesa 11, if only because of the fun factor.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            Also, the thought occurs to me that perhaps with the full OpenGL 3.x capability being completed as far as Mesa is concerned, when will we see the emergence of the GL4.txt file?

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL4.txt
            Why bother? GL3.txt actually lists ALL features of ALL versions, not just OpenGL 3.x
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Why bother? GL3.txt actually lists ALL features of ALL versions, not just OpenGL 3.x
              I don't see OpenGL 2.x listed. I don't see OpenGL 1.x listed.

Now 3.x is done. Time to move on. Time to move up.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                I don't see OpenGL 2.x listed. I don't see OpenGL 1.x listed.

Now 3.x is done. Time to move on. Time to move up.
                Sorry, you're right on the first two points. OpenGL 1 and 2 aren't listed because when the document was created all of the major drivers had 2.1 compliance and they made a list of what was needed for 3.x . In the same list they also made a listing of everything that was needed for 4.x, they just kept the name the same. Just scroll down in the document, 4.X is listed
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Kudos to the intel and mesa teams. My i7 laptop, my primary computer, has in the last year undergone an incrdible transformation in capability. While I won't pick intel for a steambox, for many users who need a laptop for work but like to play games in thier downtime, this is a welcome change. The HD4000+ is not a bad thing, but it falls just shy of what I want and in a loptop usually means really high temperatures when you push it to decent levels. If it keeps going this way, in a few in a few tick/tock cycles intel without dedicated GPU may become a viable option for low/mid range gaming computers. Realy all they need to do is 1080p at 30-60fps without overheating in a laptop. Right now the i7-HD4000 in a system 76 laptop will get to over 80C at 720p on most games (but have playable frame rates).

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                    This is great news for Intel users. Does anyone know how long will we have to wait until AMD reaches the same level of support? Thank you.
                    This, Also when will OpenCL 1.0 hit? We have UVD, it wont be long before OpenGL3.3 are working, it would be really nice to see the full feature set of the HD2000-HD4000 series be completely covered in the spring round of distro releases.

Comment

I confirm!

r600g needs only geometry shaders for 3.2! Everyother listed extension is present even GL_ARB_texture_multisample.

Comment

Working...
                      X