Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good & Bad OpenGL Drivers On Linux

Phoronix: The Good & Bad OpenGL Drivers On Linux

What are the best and worst Linux OpenGL graphics drivers from a game developer's perspective? Here's some feedback from one open-source game project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Our main problem now is that Linux distributions are very slow to upgrade and do not provide an easy way to upgrade Mesa without upgrading the rest of the system (unlike on Windows). This means our application is still broken for users of LTS releases of some Linux distributions.
    Ubuntu with oibaf ppa?

Comment

And which driver is "The ugly" one?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Ubuntu with oibaf ppa?
        Yes, the first thing we want to suggest to new Dolphin users is to replace half of their graphics stack with packages from an unofficial source
        It's unfortunately not that easy

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
          Yes, the first thing we want to suggest to new Dolphin users is to replace half of their graphics stack with packages from an unofficial source
          It's unfortunately not that easy
          You may already know this, but at least for Ubuntu there is an "LTS enablement stack". Basically kernel + video drivers from more recent Ubuntu releases are officially made available to LTS users and supported for the full 5 years. 12.04.3 by default has kernel 3.8 + updated drivers for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            And which driver is "The ugly" one?

Qualcomm proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
              You may already know this, but at least for Ubuntu there is an "LTS enablement stack". Basically kernel + video drivers from more recent Ubuntu releases are officially made available to LTS users and supported for the full 5 years. 12.04.3 by default has kernel 3.8 + updated drivers for example.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
              It's funny that you mention the LTS versions of Ubuntu.. the current LTS can't even compile Dolphin by default because their compiler and cmake packages are too old :/
              At least I think it was those two, either way it doesn't compile for whatever reason.

Comment

You really can't go wrong with the oibaf PPA. It doesn't matter if it's unofficial, so long as it does a better job than official at staying up to date with the latest bleeding edge open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                  It's funny that you mention the LTS versions of Ubuntu.. the current LTS can't even compile Dolphin by default because their compiler and cmake packages are too old :/
                  At least I think it was those two, either way it doesn't compile for whatever reason.
                  You have to manually update gcc to at least 4.7, but I think cmake is fine, at least Synaptic shows 2.8.9 as the latest version available in the repos.

Yet I still haven't managed to get Dolphin 4.0 working in my computer (Linux Mint 13 LTS 32-bit, Nvidia GPU) even though I finally got it to compile ok, but all games just give a black screen with 0 FPS. 3.5 used to work fine though.

Comment

Isn't it a little over-broad to lump all Mesa drivers in together? There's a wiiiide range of performance differences between different chipsets from different manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                    X