Mesa 9.2 X.Org/Mir Ubuntu 13.10 Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    This is ultimately great/the desired goal, but what of non-gtk/non-Qt apps? I dunno, maybe some people want to run xeyes, for all I care . I thought work was being done on X to modify it in such a way to run reliably atop Wayland (i.e. xWayland) and that X-apps would be able to run unmodified. Has this intention changed, or did I miss something here?
    Yes, that's the idea, but since it will be upstream, it sticks to upstream release cycles and need some work.
    Anyway, there will be no valid benchmark to counterbalance for a simple reason: one is to measure a DE on XMir, while XWayland was never designed, intended nor is any need to run a DE on XWayland. The idea of XWayland is to run rootless and run single apps on it. And that should be the idea of XMir, too.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      Yes, that's the idea, but since it will be upstream, it sticks to upstream release cycles and need some work.
      Anyway, there will be no valid benchmark to counterbalance for a simple reason: one is to measure a DE on XMir, while XWayland was never designed, intended nor is any need to run a DE on XWayland. The idea of XWayland is to run rootless and run single apps on it. And that should be the idea of XMir, too.

The benchmarks in this article were measuring games not desktops, so I don't see why a similar article couldn't be done for Wayland. If Michael wanted to Stoke some controversy he could benchmark XWayland vs XMir vs Xorg

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        Xwayland is being worked on just not readly yet and it will run lets say tux cart and 2d apps etc
        Does the concept of punctuation exist to you?

Comment

Working...
        X