No announcement yet.

Crowd-Funding Mesa Driver Development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowd-Funding Mesa Driver Development?

Phoronix: Crowd-Funding Mesa Driver Development?

While Canonical right now is attempting to raise millions of dollars for their Ubuntu Edge project, on a smaller scale would crowd-funding work for development of Mesa?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@UID313 I will match any contribution you make up to 50$ Time to put your money where your keyboard is

Comment

There is ONE place where Xorg foundation (and mesa) lack cash...

Its Khronos membership. It would have little positive effect on OpenGL implementation (since at least one Intel dev do participate in ARB).
      However Khronos membership also mean ROYALTY FREE IP license for every essential IP that do not have any alternative.

Here is more stuff on it:
      July 22nd 2013 – SIGGRAPH - Anaheim, CA – The Khronos™ Group today announced the immediate release of the OpenGL® 4.4 specification,bringing the very latest graphics functionality to the most advanced and widely adopted cross-platform 2D and 3D graphics API (application programming interface). OpenGL 4.4 unlocks capabilities of today’s leading-edge graphics hardware while maintaining full backwards compatibility, enabling applications to incrementally use new features while portably accessing st...

So we crowd fund Xorg (mesa is not legal entity, right?) membership in Mesa. We crowd fund some legal expertise on what would we gain from it. And hopefully at the end of the day, we enjoy freedom to implement full OpenGL without fear of liability...

Comment

Could be interesting if this developer had more knowledge.
        Now I feel that I personally could do the same job.

I'm not negative to the concept, it's very good if this gets
        funded and actually gives something. The only thing I say
        is that I'm not going to help it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
          Now I feel that I personally could do the same job.
          But you didn't. That's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            But you didn't. That's the point.
            Of course. That's why I'm not asking for help of funding it.

Comment

I'd help do it. I've helped GIMP crowdfunding and Ubuntu Edge's.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Of course. That's why I'm not asking for help of funding it.
                Any reason you don't just pick a different part to work on?

Comment

Here is a link to the inde-gogo campain... since it isn't linked to in the article.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he...sa-contributor

Comment

Not exactly relevant, but I'd put $100-$200 towards work on bettering the OpenCL gallium work.

Comment

Working...
                    X