Crowd sourcing Mesa development experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cmr~ View Post
    I've chipped in too; I hope it succeeds!
    Thanks for the support.

Originally posted by deri View Post
    I am somehow interested on your project.

I made a thread here

" Hi All, In an effort to better understand if crowd sourcing Mesa development would work I have setup a small project on Indiegogo with the Goal of implementing the GL_KHR_debug extension (OpenGL 4.3). As a stretch goal I aiming to create a bit of a guide to get started with the basics of Mesa development based on my experience. Please feel free to ask me any questions, comment on my idea or in good old Phoronix fashion flame me for whatever your reasons my be.

I would be interesting to support mesa and wine, but I would like to know what the developers are doing.
    Thanks for spreading the word but I'm not sure I understand your question.

Originally posted by madjr View Post
    Parts of the campaign page look a bit un-professional or unconvincing.

here are a few tips:
    More entrepreneurs are raising money via crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter, but it doesn't mean you're guaranteed a home run.

Some short Video and video updates will help a lot too with the credibility too specially with those more skeptic and laggard donators, just be yourself and show what you want to accomplish.

Maybe you might even surpass your initial goal, Wish you luck !!
    Thanks for the tips. I'm not marketing wiz but I'm happy to answer any questions people have. I will consider a video however I'm unsure what else I can say that I havent already. I guess I could better explain what Mesa is and what it is that I aim to accomplish.

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Perhaps we should have a little competition - first to implement the extension gets the money
    Well maybe you could start your own campaign with your idea for this or preferably another extension thats the beauty of Crowd-Funding. I'm asking for funding to take time off work to implement this extension and my wife would not be to impressed if it was all for nothing. In other words I would not be interested in competing in such a competition, but you may have more luck aiming at Uni students.

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    Having recently started off in openGL programming, I know exactly how valuable the new debug_out extension is. I chipped in a bit too, hope this campaign will work out!
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Adonai View Post
      I suggest you inform more sites interested in Linux to gain more support.
      I intend to do so. Maybe you guys could suggest some linux websites you think would be interested in running an article about this? Obviously Phoronix was a good place to start with its heavy focus on linux open source and the graphics stack.

Comment

On hackernews you should have no problems posting something, Slashdot, lwn may be worth a try (but they probably won't post it), all these "little" websites like prolinux, etc.

edit: reddit of course in /r/linux and possibly others

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          On hackernews you should have no problems posting something, Slashdot, lwn may be worth a try (but they probably won't post it), all these "little" websites like prolinux, etc.

edit: reddit of course in /r/linux and possibly others
          ok so Slashdot submission link is here: http://slashdot.org/submission/28345...3d-development feel free to vote for it.

Comment

Chipped in!!

Good luck

Comment

I meant something like that I would like to know how the process goes on, when I am funding something and I would like to fund wine project too if I found someone who would support it. You got already 464$ on indiegogo. That's not bad.

Comment

Perhaps we should have a little competition - first to implement the extension gets the money
                I like the idea of competition for money. It'll suck for the losers, but that is the whole incentive to be the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I like the idea of competition for money. It'll suck for the losers, but that is the whole incentive to be the winner.
                  Well it worked for the x prize... I would be willing to chip in for a competition, but choose some other goal, I don't want to take over this guys project.

Edit: OTOH if he is good, then he should win anyway, right?
                  Last edited by chrisb; 28 July 2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

A competition wouldn't just be bad for the losers, it'd be bad for the whole of mesa: by definition you'd have 10 people working on 1 feature. Wouldn't it be better (less duplication of effort, faster support for new OpenGL versions) to have them working on different extensions?

If it's a competition then anybody who can work on it full time (or take some time off work) would be at a significant advantage. I don't think that a competition will attract more people to it.

Comment

Well it worked for the x prize... I would be willing to chip in for a competition, but choose some other goal, I don't want to take over this guys project.
                      While I can't stop anyone starting up a new project the problem I see with a competition (aside from the duplication of effort) is that you need a non profit org to sign on to the idea otherwise the prize money would likely get taxed twice, once when the organiser collected the money and again when it was paid to the dev. Just something to think about it you are going to follow up on the idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X