• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Khronos Publishes OpenGL 4.4 Specification

Khronos Publishes OpenGL 4.4 Specification

Phoronix: Khronos Publishes OpenGL 4.4 Specification

Khronos unveiled today the OpenGL 4.4 specification as the latest industry-standard graphics API. OpenGL 4.4 delivers on buffer placement control, efficient asynchronous queries, shader variable layout, efficient multiple object binding, and a streamlined process for porting of Direct3D applications...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNzI

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by Stebs View Post
    There is the Piglit OpenGL Driver Testing Framework I mentioned earlier, it is actively developped, has a mailing list and even works with ARM Linux & OpenGL ES.
    On the results page, you can clearly see what tests pass or fail...
    http://people.freedesktop.org/~nh/piglit/
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/01/...nux-opengl-es/
    Take a look how man test the Nvidia and AMD Driver fails. Piglit is a very nice Project but it need more tests and not only simple tests if a function is working or not. and very important is, that an opengl implementation doesn't allow not specification behaviors.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    There are no Public tests. The Khronos Group say who's conform and who's not. and even with an Test i can't say an behavior is wrong if i can see only an visual difference.
    With a conformance test you get a fail/pass. If it's not public that sucks, it should at least be available to hardware vendors directly.

Leave a comment:

• Stebs
    replied
    There are no Public tests. The Khronos Group say who's conform and who's not. and even with an Test i can't say an behavior is wrong if i can see only an visual difference.
    There is the Piglit OpenGL Driver Testing Framework I mentioned earlier, it is actively developped, has a mailing list and even works with ARM Linux & OpenGL ES.
    On the results page, you can clearly see what tests pass or fail...
    http://people.freedesktop.org/~nh/piglit/
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/01/...nux-opengl-es/

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    The test would show who is doing it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    of course i can compare but i cant blame someone because i dont know how is wrong
    The test would show who is doing it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Stebs
    replied
    Because there are sometimes folks from AMD, Intel or Nvidia here: are those formal OpenGL conformance tests based on Piglit?
    If yes, me thinks Piglit should be allowed a more beautiful/up-to-date Homepage with Conformance test results etc.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to compare results.
    of course i can compare but i cant blame someone because i dont know how is wrong

I also see any where that the test aren't publicly available.
    i guess that because of this "The group also announced the first set of formal OpenGL conformance tests since OpenGL 2.0, requiring that vendors submit their hardware for full certification in order to boast OpenGL 4.4 compatibility."

In the past the pre 2.0 Tests are also not Public.

A reference implementation only becomes relevant when the specification is ambiguous and the tests doesn't cover the issue, but even reference implementations can have bugs.
    Read some of the Specifications and you Beg for and reference implementation. And, for me the most important part, you has a Implementation where you can test your Stuff.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    He has only some test cases and you cant compare results. E.g 3 Vendors and each of them has make the conformance test without a problem, but my program runs only on one of them. With a public reference implementation i can test by myself and see how wrong.
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to compare results. I also see any where that the test aren't publicly available. Just that you have to pass the test to get certified. If that is not the case it is a shame as it would make sense to make the test available so that vendors can work on passing them, saving every body time.

A reference implementation only becomes relevant when the specification is ambiguous and the tests doesn't cover the issue, but even reference implementations can have bugs.

But none of them would guaranty that vendors chose to follow any of it any way.

Leave a comment:

• Stebs
    replied
    Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    sparse_texture
    and
    bindless_texture

Come from different vendors. This mean that those extension wont probably divide OGL capable GPUs into OGL versioned camps, but in vendor camps. (Nvidia GPUs implementing second, AMD first..)
    So it those extensions require new hw, we may see OpenGL 5 specification in "near" future.
    The new Beta OpenGL 4.4 Driver from Nvidia already features ARB_sparse_texture (all OpenGL 4 capable hardware) and ARB_bindless_texture (Geforce 6xx+ hardware), so no "division in vendor camps".
    AMD is (as usually) slower to adopt newest OpenGL versions (they are still working on full 4.3 support), but I have no doubt that (one fine day) they will not only support OpenGL 4.4, but also ARB_sparse_texture (already having AMD_sparse_texture) and even ARB_bindless_texture, because why should it be ARB approved if only one of the main companys will support it.
    About what hardware level is needed for the new extensions/OpenGL 4.4, here are some clues:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver

Leave a comment:

Working...
X