Direct3D 9 Support Released For Linux Via Gallium3D, Running Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct3D 9 Support Released For Linux Via Gallium3D, Running Games

Phoronix: Direct3D 9 Support Released For Linux Via Gallium3D, Running Games

Linux desktop systems can now have working support for Microsoft's Direct3D 9 API via a new Gallium3D state tracker. Unlike the earlier Direct3D 10/11 state tracker for Gallium3D on Linux, this new code actually can run D3D9 games and at better performance than what's offered by Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sounds nice, and now that there is decent performance for amd users i hink it might hold ... a little bit longer.
    actually i hope that the DX10/11 code to be revived. it would be a complete set for DX. aand maybe steam will get interested in the gallium drivers aswell. So AMD will have really no purpose for their blob anymore except for some heavy duty workstation loads. But then they really can focus on the fireGL without the need to test the radeon devices.
    sry bridgman if im talking crap again

Comment

Looking forward to test it

I am playing WOW with wine. Curious if I will see any speed improvement.
      But +100% would be a overkill

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
        I am playing WOW with wine. Curious if I will see any speed improvement.
        But +100% would be a overkill
        be sure to test both, opengl and directX version

Comment

So this is limited to Nouveau / open Radeon only? I'd rather see DX11 support added to Wine. There are new games coming with DX11 requirement which won't be usable with Wine. For example Witcher 3 (and it's not clear whether they'll ever release an OpenGL/Linux version).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            So this is limited to Nouveau / open Radeon only? I'd rather see DX11 support added to Wine. There are new games coming with DX11 requirement which won't be usable with Wine. For example Witcher 3 (and it's not clear whether they'll ever release an OpenGL/Linux version).
            Me too. There are too many vista-only games coming out nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              be sure to test both, opengl and directX version
              I am playing with the D3D9 api since it ran since a long time better for me

Comment

Wow, just wow. Hopefully it will live and hopefully Wine developers will incorporate it.

Comment

So the frame rate is twice as high on open source drivers. What about the binary blobs? It'd be interesting to see a comparison between open drivers with this patch and binary drivers.

Comment

Is it even possible to implement something like this outside of Gallium3D, though? It sounds like the architecture of the other drivers wouldn't support it.

Comment

Working...
                    X