Direct3D 9 Support Released For Linux Via Gallium3D, Running Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    So this is limited to Nouveau / open Radeon only? I'd rather see DX11 support added to Wine. There are new games coming with DX11 requirement which won't be usable with Wine. For example Witcher 3 (and it's not clear whether they'll ever release an OpenGL/Linux version).
    They may well release some kind of OpenGL version for Mac OSX, afterall The Witcher 2 came with a Mac version, but they will NOT release a Linux version because they can't get it to run on the Raspberry Pi. Where did you read about The Witcher 3 not support DX versions earlier than DX11?
    Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 17 July 2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Congelli501 View Post
      Is there patent problems about DirectX ?

If not, and as most of the proprietary driver code is shared between operating systems, Nvidia and AMD just need to "enable it" for Linux builds ?
      Patent problems? Probably not, but this is Microsoft and they do have money.

As far as how proprietary code goes, that's not how things work. In order to use this you'd need a driver that support Gallium 3D. Both AMD and Nvidia proprietary drivers don't use any Gallium or Mesa. They have their own secret layer of stuffs. Only the open source drivers for their GPU's are using Gallium 3D.

Intel has open source drivers but they only use Mesa, and no Gallium. The way things are right now Nouveau the Nvidia open source driver, is piss slow. AMD open source drivers are nearly as fast as proprietary.

It's a good time to be an AMD graphics owner right now.

If the patch gets accepted by Wine and Mesa, and people begin to use it, it might be worth it for NVidia to enable it in their binary blob.
      Nvidia will probably never support this, as with AMD. Far more so with Nvidia, since they don't release any code.

The problem is will this state tracker see continued development? If nobody works on it, then it'll be left for dead. Then there's Wine, who seems to hate the idea cause it's Linux only. CodeWeavers basically runs Wine and they do make CrossOver. So it's against their business model I think?

Christoph Bumiller seems to have done most of the work, since he's got games working. So someone could take it and make a WineDX version that specifically uses the DX9 state tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Me too. There are too many vista-only games coming out nowadays.
        Be patient, nouveau and r600g drivers haven't support DX10/11 features (equivalent to OpenGL 3.3-4.3 I'm guessing)

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
          They may well release some kind of OpenGL version for Mac OSX, afterall The Witcher 2 came with a Mac version, but they will NOT release a Linux version because they can't get it to run on the Raspberry Pi.
          Then they also shouldn't release a Windows version, because I can't run it on my EeePC 701.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
            be sure to test both, opengl and directX version
            The win32 OpenGL render from all new blizzard games is crap compared to the DX3D render.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              It doesn't matter if it's on it's death-bed. They're lots of D3D9 Games that people could play, remember even win98 has DX9 support. That's a lot of Games for people to play, fun games, unlike most redundant cash-grab garbage today.
              You're right about having a large collection of games and install base now (even winxp is still second to win7 in market share by only a slim margin) and I definitely agree, I'm just worried that the ms BS machine will try and put the lid on it, although I sure hope other parties step up and keep d3d9 afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                Then they also shouldn't release a Windows version, because I can't run it on my EeePC 701.
                Preaching to the choir.

Comment

Let it be known that I tried to hold back but no one here apparently read the README or for that matter the e-mail itself.

Originally posted by Dukenukemx
                  Then there's Wine, who seems to hate the idea cause it's Linux only [snip] So someone could take it and make a WineDX version that specifically uses the DX9 state tracker.
                  You say this as if we didn't learn from Luca. Key differences:

Originally posted by Dukenukemx
                  Nouveau the Nvidia open source driver, is piss slow
                  No, (at least) on newer cards there is no kernel support for reclocking, and thus your card is running at 1/10th its max speed, always. The 3D driver is very good.

Originally posted by Congelli501
                  If not, and as most of the proprietary driver code is shared between operating systems, Nvidia and AMD just need to "enable it" for Linux builds ?
                  No. nVIDIA and AMD implement the Windows DDI, which is kind of like Gallium3D for Windows/DirectX APIs. We created a window-system agnostic interface directly atop the Gallium3D API.

Originally posted by Serafean
                  DRI - how software communicates with the hardware.
                  Minor point but you're thinking of DRM. DRI is an X11 extension that allows X applications to authenticate and use DRM drivers with X11 surfaces. We've since gone to DRI2 and soon DRI3.

And finally, to everyone:
                  1. You do not get an unconditional magic 2x speed boost running this. It's completely up to how the application works.
                  2. Direct3D 9 means only Direct3D 9. Not 8.1, not ddraw, just 9.0c.

Comment

Originally posted by zhasha View Post
                    Let it be known that I tried to hold back but no one here apparently read the README or for that matter the e-mail itself.

You say this as if we didn't learn from Luca. Key differences:

No, (at least) on newer cards there is no kernel support for reclocking, and thus your card is running at 1/10th its max speed, always. The 3D driver is very good.

No. nVIDIA and AMD implement the Windows DDI, which is kind of like Gallium3D for Windows/DirectX APIs. We created a window-system agnostic interface directly atop the Gallium3D API.

Minor point but you're thinking of DRM. DRI is an X11 extension that allows X applications to authenticate and use DRM drivers with X11 surfaces. We've since gone to DRI2 and soon DRI3.

And finally, to everyone:
                    1. You do not get an unconditional magic 2x speed boost running this. It's completely up to how the application works.
                    2. Direct3D 9 means only Direct3D 9. Not 8.1, not ddraw, just 9.0c.
                    1.) seems a smart of choice learn from failure and make it windows apps only is reasonable enough
                    2.) the backend seems it stays out the way so wine developers should be more receptive about this change than last time

thx for your hard work

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                      Where did you read about The Witcher 3 not support DX versions earlier than DX11?
                      CDPR said it several times in various interviews which they gave.

Comment

Working...
                      X