Direct3D 9 Support Released For Linux Via Gallium3D, Running Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LemonadeCellar View Post
    So the frame rate is twice as high on open source drivers. What about the binary blobs? It'd be interesting to see a comparison between open drivers with this patch and binary drivers.
    For NVIDIA nouveau might be as fast as the blob, then. Why isn't Intel graphics supported? It'd be cool if the blobs could use this, too. Wine games might be as fast as on Windows in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Why isn't Intel graphics supported?
      Because Intel official drivers don't use gallium

But it should work with the new intel Ilo driver which use gallium. (But performance is not yet good)

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
        Because Intel official drivers don't use gallium

But it should work with the new intel Ilo driver which use gallium. (But performance is not yet good)
        As it stands, the gallium intel driver is so far behind the mesa one that even with this patch it would probably be worse. I highly doubt the gallium driver will ever be able to catch up primarily because mesa driver gets official support alongside the community, whereas the gallium has considerably less developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirudo View Post
          As it stands, the gallium intel driver is so far behind the mesa one that even with this patch it would probably be worse. I highly doubt the gallium driver will ever be able to catch up primarily because mesa driver gets official support alongside the community, whereas the gallium has considerably less developers.
          Unless intel changes their mind. In the past they used "no production quality drivers are build atop Gallium" excuse. Now we have r300g, r600g, stable and fast almost as catalyst.

Comment

After using Linux for about 4-5 year now I still don't fully understand how graphics stack actually work and what's up with Gallium, Mesa, KMS, DRI und DDX drivers etc.

A comparison between open source AMD and catalyst might be interesting. Their open source drivers aren't that slow to begin with. They might beat the blob, when performance doubles.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              So this is limited to Nouveau / open Radeon only?
              In principle it can work with all gallium drivers. So all those listed here:

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              After using Linux for about 4-5 year now I still don't fully understand how graphics stack actually work and what's up with Gallium, Mesa, KMS, DRI und DDX drivers etc.
              Then I suggest that you start reading
              http://yangman.ca/blog/2009/10/linux...ack-explained/ (very simple explanation, slightly outdated)
              http://blog.mecheye.net/2012/06/the-...raphics-stack/ (a bit more detailed)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                Me too. There are too many vista-only games coming out nowadays.
                d3d9 is still on its deathbed, like it or not. winxp support ends by april 2014, xboxone gets released by year end (with dx11.2 being exclusive to it... and win8.1 but let's concentrate on stuff that at the very least has a chance of making a moderate splash).

Comment

Civilization V

I'd say this patchset is worth it solely for use with Civilization V; I have a feeling that it is the type of game most popular amongst the GNU-using demographic, even though most of our native games are doom/unreal clones . I may just play it again and buy the gold version upgrade (only $20 for the first expansion and all DLC!) if it works out. Though supposedly using all the DLC causes Wine to crash, so it might actually be a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                    d3d9 is still on its deathbed, like it or not. winxp support ends by april 2014, xboxone gets released by year end (with dx11.2 being exclusive to it... and win8.1 but let's concentrate on stuff that at the very least has a chance of making a moderate splash).
                    It doesn't matter if it's on it's death-bed. They're lots of D3D9 Games that people could play, remember even win98 has DX9 support. That's a lot of Games for people to play, fun games, unlike most redundant cash-grab garbage today.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      Thanks that was a good read. After all these years I finally understand it.

Comment

Working...
                      X