No announcement yet.

The Current State Of OpenGL 3, OpenGL 4 In Mesa 9.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new OpenGL specification this year? What can it realistically offer worth a new spec release?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      A new OpenGL specification this year? What can it realistically offer worth a new spec release?
      I am not personally expecting a new standard, but if one does appear, it could have: A better API (to the extent possible)? Maybe the DSA specification that NVIDIA and almost every graphics professional stuck with GL has been asking for? A modern replacement for display lists that works as expected and isn't deprecated? The usual round of fixes and promotions of optional experimental extensions to core where appropriate for today's hardware? GLSL syntax improvements? Maybe it will even leapfrog D3D for the first time in over a decade; doubtful, but who knows? OpenGL is not really all that Open and the community has no way to know what the cabal of specification editors are doing nor have any way to directly impact the next standard.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        in fact i would tell you if you use ubuntu stick to their repo release but if you wanna stay bleeding edge switch to gentoo ubuntu is not a friendly place for mess with source compilation
        Or try Fedora. Fedora is the only place I know of that actually uses git snapshots as distro packages, and then maintain those snapshots properly. You can always try Rawhide SRPMs, if you feel the need to be more at the bleeding edge (or cutting edge, if you prefer).

OTOH, your life will be really miserable if you try Fedora and then try to install proprietary drivers, so choose wisely.

Comment

LMAO at everyone trying to convert a user to their favorite distro just because the user misread glxinfo output. "Yeah, do a full reinstall to fix that 'problem'"

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
            So why is my ATI RV670 [Radeon HD 3870] still stuck on OpenGL 3.0?

I've tried building from source (which actually get's it stuck to 2.0).
            Thats because some of the extentions in versions above 2.0 are covered by patents and are turned off by default. You need to manually enable them when you build.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              I am not personally expecting a new standard, but if one does appear, it could have: A better API (to the extent possible)? Maybe the DSA specification that NVIDIA and almost every graphics professional stuck with GL has been asking for? A modern replacement for display lists that works as expected and isn't deprecated? The usual round of fixes and promotions of optional experimental extensions to core where appropriate for today's hardware? GLSL syntax improvements? Maybe it will even leapfrog D3D for the first time in over a decade; doubtful, but who knows? OpenGL is not really all that Open and the community has no way to know what the cabal of specification editors are doing nor have any way to directly impact the next standard.
              AMD_sparse_texture
              AMD_multi_draw_indirect

Some other refinements to current API's, and variation's of them.

More OpenCL/DX interop..

" Maybe it will even leapfrog D3D for the first time in over a decade;"

Dude read OpenGL 4.1 specs (and DX11 specs) and DX4.3 (and DX11.1 specs). DX is playing catch up right now. (Granted those are mostly small things)

Comment

Working...
              X