Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Support Not Merged For Mesa 9.2

Phoronix: Mir Support Not Merged For Mesa 9.2

While the very exciting Mesa 9.2 release is expected next month and its code will be branched soon, one feature that looks unlikely to be merged in time is any support for Canonical's Mir Display Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So they want everyone (DEs etc.) to embrace Mir without having any real upstream support? lol

Comment

Not sure the Mesa devs are eager to merge this.
      AFAIK, Canonical didn't get a single reply back in March.

Comment

Don't think Mesa (or pretty much anyone else) is interested in supporting Mir and pulling Mir code into their code base.

Mir is Canonical's in-house developed Ubuntu-only software without community interaction, feedback or support.
        The community doesn't care for Mir, they want Wayland.

Wayland is by the community for the community. It is by us, for us.
        Mir on the other hand is by Canonical for Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          So they want everyone (DEs etc.) to embrace Mir without having any real upstream support? lol
          I'm pretty sure Canonical will start pointing fingers at upstream soon, accusing them of not collaborating.

It's their own fault, playing foul is not easily forgiven.

Comment

They obviously should fork mesa! With this fork, they will have more control!
            A fork of the kernel should be a good idea too!

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
              They obviously should fork mesa! With this fork, they will have more control!
              A fork of the kernel should be a good idea too!
              I also don't get it why they wait for NVIDA and AMD to make new drivers. Why don't they write their own drivers? Just fork nouveau.

Comment

I think Canoncial should drop 13.10. They should fully focus to give a good experience on Ubuntu 14.04 and for that improve Mir and the driver situations.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Canonical will start pointing fingers at upstream soon, accusing them of not collaborating.

It's their own fault, playing foul is not easily forgiven.

Project A: Look Canonical doesn't collaborate with anyone. They sumbitted collaborative code to us?!? I'm not going to collaborate with them, they didn't play well with Project X, so if we don't its their fault not us.

Project B: Look Canonical doesn't collaborate with anyone. They sumbitted collaborative code to us?!? I'm not going to collaborate with them, they didn't play well with Project A, so if we don't its their fault not us.

Project C: Look Canonical doesn't collaborate with anyone. They sumbitted collaborative code to us?!? I'm not going to collaborate with them, they didn't play well with Project B, so if we don't its their fault not us.

Project D: Look Canonical doesn't collaborate with anyone. They sumbitted collaborative code to us?!? I'm not going to collaborate with them, they didn't play well with Project C, so if we don't its their fault not us.

Rince, Wash, Repeat.

If you don't collaborate with others, you have no one to blame but yourself. Selectve collaboration is the death of FOSS. Looking down GPL code to your selected few poisions GPL code and makes it no better than non-GPL code.
                  Last edited by dh04000; 11 July 2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    So they want everyone (DE's etc.) to embrace Mir without having any real upstream support? lol
                    Where do you people get this stuff? All the article says is that Mir will not be ready for the Mesa 9.2 release. Most likely, Canonical will use Mesa 9.2 + their Mir patches for Ubuntu 13.10. By the next Mesa release point, the API should be stable and the code will be well-tested and ready for merging.

This "news" is not newsworthy IMO (just gets the Canoncial haters worked up).

Comment

Working...
                    X