Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of OpenGL 3/4 Support In Mesa/Gallium3D

Phoronix: The State Of OpenGL 3/4 Support In Mesa/Gallium3D

With updated documentation in the Mesa tree, here's a look at what's left to be accomplished for the Mesa drivers to catch up with the latest upstream Khronos specifications for OpenGL 3.x and OpenGL 4.x...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wouldn't say it's sad, I'd say it's amazing. Yes there's a lot of work for them to do with bringing up OpenGL 4 support but things have come so far so fast that that stack is much further along in openGL compliance than it was even just a year ago so kudos to the devs.

Comment

For 3.2, we actually have started on GLSL 1.50 - Chris landed the texture multisample bits, Jordan has preliminary patches for interface blocks, and Paul's working on geometry shaders.

Also, a couple of the 4.0 features are actually in progress - Matt's just about done with GL_ARB_texture_query_lod for i965, Christoph posted patches for GL_ARB_draw_indirect on Gallium/nvc0, and Maxence posted patches for GL_ARB_texture_gather that could be finished up.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
        For 3.2, we actually have started on GLSL 1.50 - Chris landed the texture multisample bits, Jordan has preliminary patches for interface blocks, and Paul's working on geometry shaders.

Also, a couple of the 4.0 features are actually in progress - Matt's just about done with GL_ARB_texture_query_lod for i965, Christoph posted patches for GL_ARB_draw_indirect on Gallium/nvc0, and Maxence posted patches for GL_ARB_texture_gather that could be finished up.
        And what about those extensions that add only 64bit data types in places where 32bits where allowed? Will it be hard to add?

I think that we may see simultaneoud 4.0/4.1 release just because tesselation may be "new" geometry shaders

Comment

This sounds fantastic! I am not Intel customer, but big thanks for you all.

Comment

Reference

Michael Larabel failed to do basic journalistic best practices of providing the reference for this article.

Last updated 12 hours ago.

Comment

For 3.2, we actually have started on GLSL 1.50
              And Michael actually forgot he wrote about it just a couple days ago (;

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                I wouldn't say it's sad, I'd say it's amazing. Yes there's a lot of work for them to do with bringing up OpenGL 4 support but things have come so far so fast that that stack is much further along in openGL compliance than it was even just a year ago so kudos to the devs.
                +1

I think the progress so far is amazing, especially when you consider that at this point, AFAIK the r300 GPUs now have more functionality in linux than they do in Windows. Keep in mind r300 wasn't even designed for opengl 3, and yet look at what it's doing.

Keep in mind that once these last few features are out of the way, all that will be left to do is bug fixing and performance improvements. It's impressive that something so complicated is getting so close to being on-par with proprietary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Michael Larabel failed to do basic journalistic best practices of providing the reference for this article.

Last updated 12 hours ago.
                  Thanks for sharing the link. I cant wait to finally buy a real computer so I can start contributing some what.

Comment

Keep in mind that once these last few features are out of the way, all that will be left to do is bug fixing and performance improvements.
                    Well, AMD probably has a good chunk of work left to get radeonsi (the GCN/Southern Islands 3D driver) caught up with r600g, and nouveau and llvmpipe have catching up to do as well. But overall, yes, things are looking much brighter.

Comment

Working...
                    X