Ubuntu Touch/Tablet Is Using SurfaceFlinger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akka View Post
    Yes you can but you don't need Canonical for that. You can use Qt for android without Canonicals contribution.

Do anyone know which sound daemon Canonical plan to use, is it audioflinger?
    PulseAudio

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Comparing this to work that Mer/Jolla-Sailfish/PlasmaActive folks do, I'd say that Canonical deserted the fight to gain short term benefits. Mer/Jolla-Sailfish/PA however go along the way that desktop Linux is going - i.e. X.org -> Wayland shift. And they are working with hardware vendors. Not easy - but they are doing it instead of chickening out to grab some market. Canonical just decided to take a shortcut, but a bad one. By the way, libhybris which is apparently used by Canonical now was created by the Mer architect who also works in Jolla. For me all this is a good reason to stick with Sailfish and PA, rather than jumping to Ubuntu's train.
      You make it sound like there is this honorable GNU path to follow and canonical lost this honor to follow evil guy google and its gang. if there is any thecnichal merit to wayland vs. SF, I would very much like to hear, otherwise, you do not provide any support for you claim that the shortcut canonical took is "bad".

The strategy seems to be working. One day after the release ubuntu touch has already been ported to the galaxy S III...
      Last edited by Figueiredo; 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Michael,

Can you please include Nexus 4 in your upcoming Linux benchmarks of Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.

Comment

Honorable path is simple - collaboration and sharing of effort. Surface Flinger doesn't serve this purpose.

Comment

Android is preferable IMO. This thing is going to be niche market at best. I'd be surprised if they even line up any hardware partners.

Then again it's hard to get excited about Ubuntu now that Canonical has gone deep into the crazy.

It went from, "Oh cool, a new version of Ubuntu!" to "Dear God a new version of Ubuntu already? How long can I hold off an upgrade?"

Nobody will want this thing other than geeks who don't know better.

Comment

Originally posted by nej_simon View Post
              If distributions move to wayland Nvidia and AMD will eventually support it. Supporting Linux is very important due to its' use in HPC.
              The HPC industry doesn't use display servers. In fact the GPUs used in HPC systems don't even have video outputs.

No Linux distribution is going to force the hands of NVIDIA or AMD, since your average Linux distribution makes up about zero percent of the consumer market.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Android is preferable IMO.
                I personally think Android is not preferable. And I mean Android's architectural components like Surface Flinger. Let alone pushing that stuff to the desktop.

Comment

The HPC industry doesn't use display servers. In fact the GPUs used in HPC systems don't even have video outputs.
                  Of course. But developing and supporting a Linux driver is important for these companies in any case.

Comment

No Linux distribution is going to force the hands of NVIDIA or AMD, since your average Linux distribution makes up about zero percent of the consumer market.
                    On the other hand, even wayland has a higher percentage of use under the desktop hardware than SurfaceFlinger does right now.

I think people are overestimating the usefulness of SF here. Porting their desktop drivers to SF won't give them android compatibility. The drivers are hundreds of MBs, and no one wants that on Android. A large portion of that is x86 assembly code, too. That's why nvidia has completely separate drivers for their Tegra hardware running android, from everything else running under linux.

If they unified everything under SF, perhaps there might be 1 or 2 small benefits from it, but I just don't see the big payoff that most people seem to be assuming. They'll still have to support X for backwards compatibility as well, which is where most of the complexity lies.

Assuming that supporting Wayland will take minimal work from the drivers (which is what we've been told) then I don't see why NVidia/AMD wouldn't support Wayland once Red Hat starts enabling it on their distros. It will come down to exactly how hard it is to support. The more work it is, the less likely it will be to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                      Michael,

Can you please include Nexus 4 in your upcoming Linux benchmarks of Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
                      It all comes down to how many views/interest the first 7/10 benchmarks get to see if I can justify buying a Nexus 4 too.
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X