Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Slew Of Performance Improvements To Hit Compiz

Phoronix: A Slew Of Performance Improvements To Hit Compiz

While publishing this morning was a large Ubuntu 13.04 OpenGL desktop performance comparison using six desktop environments and five different GPU/driver configurations, to result in 30 different data points for multiple Linux games, also announced today were forthcoming Compiz performance improvements. To land soon will be a number of performance enhancements for the Compiz compositing window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would wait a bit for updates. Last package building went wrong and now the PPA suggest to uninstall unity :-)

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
      I would wait a bit for updates. Last package building went wrong and now the PPA suggest to uninstall unity :-)
      not seeing the problem there...

err i mean, o rly?

Comment

https://launchpad.net/~smspillaz/+ar...z-experimental <- see on the right side.

at least for quantal and precise.

Comment

Don't forget to benchmark with suspend compositions turned on, please.

Comment

The performance with this is absolutely fantastic. All problems related to window movement: *gone*. Ubuntu 13.04 can't come soon enough.

Comment

Nice. Brilliant work by nVidia and Compiz devs.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                not seeing the problem there...

err i mean, o rly?
                lmao, that made my day.

anyways, nice to see today's articles were so filled with performance improvements in every direction. while i haven't used compiz in 3 or 4 years, its nice to see some improvements.

Comment

Well, I had to at least give the latest code a spin, and yes the performance is absolutely fantastic (!!) and i can also verify that the moving windows bug is indeed fixed. This is definitely a step in the right direction for compiz

that being said; the blank/white/black window bug for nvidia still does exist, which means that as nice as these improvements are - they don't solve one of the bugs that drove me away from using compiz, somewhat recently (after working around it for over a year!)... video;

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(in the video) I trigger the blank windows in a predictable way;

1. minimize nautilus (or any window)
                  2. use scale (but click on another window, not the minimized one)
                  3. un-minimize nautilus - then nautilus (or most any other app/window) will now appear blank :\

It's been well-over a year and a half with no solution in sight, which is why i ditched compiz. but also because of them dropping some plugins (that i was using) and lastly because of the slow moving windows, which the latest changes fix wonderfully. Maybe if they ever do manage to fix that bug i _may_ use compiz again, but until then, i would rather use a WM that doesn't do that.

good job on the performance improvements, though. Compiz feels like it is on crack now
                  Last edited by ninez; 13 December 2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

With today's updates there is some new corruption with fglrx, but on the positive side Compiz fucking flies. I have already reported bugs. Here is a video if anyone cares: http://youtu.be/sdtwCFGTLbg

Comment

Working...
                    X