Ubuntu Needs To Improve OpenGL Drivers For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Congratulations, using alsa instead of pulseaudio is equivalent of reducing your distance to the speakers by 6,806 meters. I imagine it is very hard for you to go to concerts because the sound doesn't sync up with the musicians's movements you see.
    +1

you dont have lags, when you play even on 60 ping [60ms]

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      25 ms latency for PA vs 5 ms for pure Alsa....i knew that i was right and made the right choice
      Yeah, this is the reason that to this day, people code everything in assembler for the additional 20 ms execution speed!

I'm so thirsty already for all the tears of people still using dmix and expecting Valve & co to give one flying shit about them

Comment

Valve possibly launching Jockey / Ubuntu Software Center directly when needed for prompting users to install the binary graphics drivers when needed for a game instead of using the slower, less-featureful, and buggy open-source graphics drivers.
        What I find most disturbing about this is the idea of Ubuntu trying to tie Valve to an Ubuntu only service, which understandably will not be adopted by many other major distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          What I find most disturbing about this is the idea of Ubuntu trying to tie Valve to an Ubuntu only service, which understandably will not be adopted by many other major distributions.
          It doesn't seem so much as Ubuntu trying to make Valve/Steam a Ubuntu exclusive but more like asking what will it take to get Steam successfully launched on Ubuntu aka the most popular linux desktop distro. Once it's running on Ubuntu, other distros will have an idea of what it takes to get it working and possibly make their own simular design changes to make support it. Overall the outcome should be at least we'll know what works and what needs redesign.
          Last edited by tweak42; 30 October 2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
            It doesn't seem so much as Ubuntu trying to make Valve/Steam a Ubuntu exclusive but more like asking what will it take to get Steam successfully launched on Ubuntu aka the most popular linux desktop distro. Once it's running on Ubuntu, other distros will have an idea of what it takes to get it working and possibly make their own simular design changes to make support it. Overall the outcome should be at least we'll know what works and what needs redesign.
            Well, Fedora will never make something like Jockey as it is opposed to shipping patented or proprietary drivers and codecs. Does that mean Steam will not work with it?

Now, they could just make Steam look for it and then not complain when it does not find it, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Well, Fedora will never make something like Jockey as it is opposed to shipping patented or proprietary drivers and codecs. Does that mean Steam will not work with it?

Now, they could just make Steam look for it and then not complain when it does not find it, but still.
              I suppose it's kinda hard to say at this early juncture. They could make Steam check the proprietary drivers and if it only find the open ones just pop up a message that game performance will be limited, but allow you to continue. This probably would work fine for older or 2d games. The reason they would tie it to Jockey would be so a newbie user could install the proprietary drivers easily to get them working. I'm sure a Fedora user could do the same with few manual command lines.
              Last edited by tweak42; 30 October 2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Let's make some sensible assumptions here

GL 2.x (es) will be a reccomendation. Games that need features available in GL 3 or 4 will use those versions (or GL2 and the relevant extensions).
                PA is optimised for power usage rather than low latency, 20ms is concidered acceptable limit for pro audio production, Ideally I would like to see pulse below that. (is this with or without using pulse with realtime capabilities).

I don't think it's any great secret that Valve is targetting Ubuntu specifically rather than Linux in general. I personally think this is a sensible approach at least initially. It can't be that hard to package the library versions needed by steam needs in other distros.
                Last edited by kayosiii; 30 October 2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Usually the libs are not the problem, but when they use something newer as u 11.10 then binaries will not work on Debian wheezy. Basically some Linux devs at Valve should know how to work around that, lets see if they did or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
                    I suppose it's kinda hard to say at this early juncture. They could make Steam check the proprietary drivers and if it only find the open ones just pop up a message that game performance will be limited, but allow you to continue. This probably would work fine for older or 2d games. The reason they would tie it to Jockey would be so a newbie user could install the proprietary drivers easily to get them working. I'm sure a Fedora user could do the same with few manual command lines.
                    On Fedora repository, Ur Quan Masters, a fork of Star Control 2,and Quake 3 package include an autodownloader that allow to install audio and theme. Gaming publisher can keep track on RPM Fusion which remains as much closer to the Fedora package guideline.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Usually the libs are not the problem, but when they use something newer as u 11.10 then binaries will not work on Debian wheezy. Basically some Linux devs at Valve should know how to work around that, lets see if they did or not.
                      Why would they care about non-Ubuntu distros? everyone knows how they could work around things, but there'll be 50,000 things you have to workaround to cover everyone's insane choice of distro and desktop, etc. I think Valve would at some point care to make some money rather than cater to everybody's private distros, if I was a Linux engineering Valve, I don't think I'd be worrying about any distros except the ones Valve told me to make it work on.

so far I hear they use libappindicator.so which I think is fairly Ubuntu specific.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                      X