X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrl
    replied
    A tale of two Window Managers

Long ago in the a forgotten kingdom lived two designers for workflows. One was a lovely lady working down in Palo Alto California. She was sexy-drop-dead hot for a Computer Scientist. The other, well he was stinky, smelly and ate quite a few Apples. One day, our lovers met and Stinky Apples stole Sexy Parcs design. What you ended up with was WindowMaker after somebody freed the idea from propriety and made it open-sourced. On the other hand, Parc turned into Fluxbox which was always a free idea.

Fluxbox is the most productive desktop environment.

The developers who forked it from Blackbox contributed the single most important desktop environment the entire world has ever known.
    Why? Because, try it and you'll like it. Couple it with Thunar (ever how it's spelled) and you should have all you need for managing disk volumes.

On the other hand, there's Windowmaker. Yet again Thunnar and you're good.

Leave a comment:

• BoTuLoX
    replied
    Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    My *phone* (HTC Incredible) has 3d acceleration. My phone before *that* (Motorola Droid) has 3d acceleration. My next phone is likely to be the Nexus 4. It has 3d acceleration. If you're looking to run Ubuntu on something less powerful than a 3-years old cell phone, maybe you should look at a command line interface.
    Well, while this is true ethana, don't forget about this thing called "demanding games". It's something we haven't seen for a good while, and will probably be seeing a lot in the future, and there's a lot of pressure on Canonical so these games run well. It doesn't matter what computer you have, Compiz/KWin/insert 3D environment or WM here: IS a performance hit.

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    My *phone* (HTC Incredible) has 3d acceleration. My phone before *that* (Motorola Droid) has 3d acceleration. My next phone is likely to be the Nexus 4. It has 3d acceleration. If you're looking to run Ubuntu on something less powerful than a 3-years old cell phone, maybe you should look at a command line interface.

Leave a comment:

• balouba
    replied
    they didn't get this right. what should be been written is:

"Ubuntu Developers Realize No Need for 3D on Desktop"

And also, I'm using MATE (ie GNOME2). Works better and faster than GNOME3 or Unity. Not sure if their strategy made sense. "Quick MUST make new things or it looks like we're stagnating!" "DOESNT MATTER IF ITS CRAP!!"

I guess that's the Silicon valley's own achilles heel

Leave a comment:

• grantek
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well they could just rename Kubuntu or Lubuntu to Ubuntu and call Ubuntu with Unity then Unibuntu
    Or they could argue themselves into obscurity and let someone else like Mint provide an easy-to-use snapshot of Debian Sid.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well they could just rename Kubuntu or Lubuntu to Ubuntu and call Ubuntu with Unity then Unibuntu

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    They got rid of Unity2D because the Qt stuff they were using was getting depreciated in the future, afaik.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Retarted

LXDE is a whole desktop environment.
    So they're going to use a whole different desktop environment as a fallback?
    Wow, that is just retarded!

They should just use the GNOME Fallback session instead.

Leave a comment:

• Viper_Scull
    replied
    4th uninteresting piece of news of the day related to Ubuntu. Enough already.

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    So they had a perfectly fine 2D version of Unity... got rid of it...

Now they need one again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X