XDC2012: Lots Of Progress On X, Mesa, Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
    Way to be sexist in a post berating a guy for being sexist. Evidence suggests there aren't more woman programmers because we don't expect their to be more women programmers, and there aren't more male nurses for the same reason. Men get teased for doing things society has decided are feminine, and vice versa, both by people in the profession and and other people of both genders. Even before they get the chance, there is a desire to conform.

When people look different, they get classified, they classify themselves, and then they end up being different. You can't fix that, at best you can isolate people from existing societies so that they produce their own self-fulfilling prejudices.
    Well, it's not exactly like society really rewards being a "nerd/geek", if you know what I mean... but we just stick with it because that's what we love doing =P

Anyway, is it weird that I could identify like 6 or 7 people in that group photo without ever having met them??

Comment

the point is that women don't find hax0ring appealing. not that they don't have the aptitude for it. grace hopper was a computing giant and the first programmer was ada lovelace

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
        Way to be sexist in a post berating a guy for being sexist. Evidence suggests there aren't more woman programmers because we don't expect their to be more women programmers, and there aren't more male nurses for the same reason. Men get teased for doing things society has decided are feminine, and vice versa, both by people in the profession and and other people of both genders. Even before they get the chance, there is a desire to conform.

When people look different, they get classified, they classify themselves, and then they end up being different. You can't fix that, at best you can isolate people from existing societies so that they produce their own self-fulfilling prejudices.
        You didn't support your point that I was being sexist, and then went on to say basically what I already believe (not that you could have known that).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
          No, this is mlankhorst.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
            Not a single woman.
            Several members of the X.Org Board noticed that as well - our prior conferences didn't have a ton of women, but usually had at least a few. We've not yet had a chance to discuss what we could or should do about that, but fortunately we've got a year until the next conference to consider the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X