Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA-API Support Set To Be Dropped From Mesa

Phoronix: VA-API Support Set To Be Dropped From Mesa

The VA-API state tracker for Mesa's Gallium3D is set to be removed since it's fallen into disrepair without active maintenance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I believe the title should say it was droped from gallium, not mesa...

It is sad that not even the open drivers can settle for a single API, so much duplicated efforts and incompatibility...

Comment

I dont understand the reason behind this, vdpau is not that good than va-api and have nvidia really no patent? If amd would announce that they will use that I would understand it maybe, but that has to be a priority to make that work in at least the next 2 years so why would you remove it then?

Or is it the target to never be able to use gpu for video decoding at all? If thats so, ok say it, I switch then to intel inkl. processors for good.

Comment

The VA-API state tracker for Mesa's Gallium3D is set to be removed since it's fallen into disrepair without active maintenance.
        Not quite. I don't think it's worked ever, actually. And the build has been disabled since July 2011. See http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...97d397bada650b

However, rather than just disabling the build support for VA-API in Mesa, it's set to be removed entirely. Matt Turner sent in a patch to remove the 1.5k lines of code for this "VA" state tracker that had targets for the R300 and R600 Gallium3D hardware drivers.
        The build has been disabled since last year and it's doubtful that it ever worked before that. See above.

Comment

This reminds me: weren't the nouveau developers close to getting the h264 decoders working on nvidia hw a few months ago?
          What happened to that? Does anyone know?

Comment

That would be a shame.. I consider va-api the vendor neutral api that should be used by all other vendors to expose there video decoding stuff. But that's just my little perfect world

Comment

title is extremely misleading...

Comment

It's just a byproduct of intel not supporting gallium3d, because you know they would have the va-api state tracker in good shape. I really wish Intel would get on board the Gallium ship, but I can't blame them for not wanting to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  It's just a byproduct of intel not supporting gallium3d, because you know they would have the va-api state tracker in good shape. I really wish Intel would get on board the Gallium ship, but I can't blame them for not wanting to reinvent the wheel.
                  As far as i understand it this has nothing to do with Intel. Intel uses their HW and this is a shader based implementation. So if intel was on G3D they would just plug their HW in the tracker (or whatever fits technically) and would not even bother with shaders.

Comment

Its too bad. Wish someone could patch this up into working condition, maybe then r600 users would have some nice VA-API.

Comment

Working...
                    X