Mesa's Rate Of Git Development Is Slowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    Red Hat, Intel, VMware and AMD should sue the hell out of HTC over that fucking ST3C patent.
    On what grounds? It's easier just to build your own mesa (not that I enable S3TC in my builds because I live in America and that would be illegal...).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      On what grounds? It's easier just to build your own mesa (not that I enable S3TC in my builds because I live in America and that would be illegal...).
      So just because it might illegal, you don't do it?
      In some countries it is illegal to be gay, in some countries it is illegal for women to drive, some countries saying certain things is illegal.

Just because something is illegal, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
      Do what you feel is right as long as it does not harm anyone.

Comment

(not that I enable S3TC in my builds because I live in America and that would be illegal...)
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        So just because it might illegal, you don't do it?
        An ellipsis in such statements is the textual equivalent of whistling and looking at the ceiling.

However, I'm sure that's not the case here... :-)
        Last edited by archibald; 26 June 2012, 01:31 PM. Reason: added initial quote

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
          An ellipsis in such statements is the textual equivalent of whistling and looking at the ceiling. However, I'm sure that's not the case here... :-)
          Exactly

Comment

And because some (or many) laws are stupid it means that you have to surrender yourself to stupidity

Comment

Fuck software patents. Why don't you guys living in the US vote against that fucking shit? Don't you folks have a say with things like that?

The whole world has to suffer because of the idiotic laws in USA.
              How many Americans do you think have ever heard of "software patents" ?

Comment

Fuck software patents. Why don't you guys living in the US vote against that fucking shit? Don't you folks have a say with things like that?

No, we don't have a say in things like that. We live in a false democracy which is actually a totalitarian state run by a few rich men. All of them unanimously want to continue with software patents.

In fact, I can't think of any elected official who has ever uttered the words "software patents". If they did, they'd probably be against them, but since everyone in office "plays dumb" about all that technolergy-stuff, it's simply not discussed. They ignore them because it's an inconvenient issue. Even if we elected other people, they wouldn't be able to get elected by campaigning to get rid of software patents. Too many people would either say "oh no, don't do that, Microsoft would go bankrupt!" or they would say "huh? what's software? why are you worrying about that meaningless shit instead of giving me a bigger paycheck?"

That's really what it comes down to these days for most people: they will vote for whoever promises to give them a bigger paycheck, more job security, or a job in the first place. Obviously there's no correlation between politicians promising bigger paychecks (less taxes) and politicians promising to obliterate software patents, so it'll never happen.
                Last edited by allquixotic; 27 June 2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Considering here in Canada the Harper government just passed their new copyright law which is in many ways worse than the DMCA I think you may be being a little too hard on the yanks by stating that such problems are their fault exclusively...

Comment

What I never understood is why developments like Mesa doesn't happen outside of the US, like in some countries in Europe where US laws doesn't apply.

Wouldn't that make sense? Wouldn't that prevent Mesa developers from being sued over the ST3C patents if they decide to incorporate ST3C by default in Mesa?
                    The general consensus of the Mesa developers is to try and code to the "lowest common denominator", which means they need to take into account the needs of people (especially statistically-significant proportions of their user base, such as USAians) who use their software. They can't just distribute to Europe only. Japan respects U.S. patent law BTW. as do many other countries.

Also the distros that distribute compiled binary code, their situation is even more grim because it's much more likely that a for-profit company (whether or not they sell the distro for money) would be sued for patent infringement by distributing S3TC codecs etc.

Comment

We have the same amount of say that you do about getting your government to ignore those laws from the US. The whole world only has to suffer if they agree - it's not like we're invading countries and shooting people who refuse.

Which is to say, theoretically, we can tell our governments what to do. But realistically this issue is backed by huge amounts of money and you and I don't have enough to compete with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X