Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Rate Of Git Development Is Slowing

Phoronix: Mesa's Rate Of Git Development Is Slowing

Based upon the latest Git statistics, the rate of Mesa's development commits has been slowing down. There's also some other interesting numbers to share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Big fat "Phoronix" label that screws the image completely.
    Why not use a watermark (transparent) image instead.

Comment

Isn't it caused just by cutting out old cruft and using more modern and simpler gallium architecture?

Comment

Why is this happening?

This is terrible. Why is this happening?
        Or is there something misleading here?

Mesa needs more work than ever. We need OpenGL 4.2 compliance, proper power management and re-clocking support.

Anything went wrong?
        Why aren't there more contributors?
        Why aren't the contributors more active?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          This is terrible. Why is this happening?
          Or is there something misleading here?

Mesa needs more work than ever. We need OpenGL 4.2 compliance, proper power management and re-clocking support.

Anything went wrong?
          Why aren't there more contributors?
          Why aren't the contributors more active?
          Simple: As any software reaches maturity, the number of corresponding changes decreases. I see nothing too surprising in that graph: You have a startup period, a rapid increase in development, and now you begin to see the slowdown that accompanies mostly-mature software projects.

Then again, are you REALLY going to try and determine the "health" of software by the number of changes?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Of the 3 things listed, only one of them should be done in the Mesa project. Power Management and Re-Clocking support should be handled in the kernel, not in a user-space 3D graphics library.

As another poster mentioned, things are maturing, which means that a large amount of the needed code and refactoring has already been done. More features are still obviously needed, but now there's hard-to-find bugs which take a lot of time to diagnose, and often only take a few lines of changed code to fix. New extensions, GLSL versions, profiles, state trackers, new drivers, and other things will still require additional new code, but hopefully the Gallium3D architecture will reduce the amount of new code required for new drivers and state trackers.

Comment

Is Valve looking for people to contribute to Mesa directly?

Comment

Contribute

Could not find a roadmap.

But if you want to contribute:

Join mailing list: http://www.mesa3d.org/lists.html
                Read OpenGL documentation: http://www.opengl.org/documentation/

Comment

I haven't seen commits from Marek Olsak lately :\
                  I hope he's working on something major (maybe Southern Islands support).

Comment

Hey Michael,

I would like to see an article about the current status of the Gallium3D framework. I do not mean benchmarks. I mean commentary from the developers from radeon, nouveaou, and vmware. Also I would like read an in depth analysis of the architectual differencies between the classic and the gallium drivers.

Gallium3D promissed a lot. Has it delivered? Have we reached the reuse greatness? What are the drawbacks? etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X