No announcement yet.

Intel Publishes Massive "Fastboot" Patch Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok... slowly i wonder if theyll introduce some opengl-demanding booting agent... is there nothing else to do in the linux world?

Comment

and wouldn't that be great? hehe 3d rendered vexalized tux that would explode once your explode is loaded? that would be fun for 2 days I guess

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
        The patches have a secondary effect, the memory stolen by the BIOS is now put to use for permanent allocations required by the driver, whereas previously it was never recovered and so lost to the system.
        It this also the case if I'm not using the integrated Intel graphics? I turned it off in the BIOS and use a dedicated card, but there's still quite some RAM taken by the BIOS that's not available to the system.

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        ok... slowly i wonder if theyll introduce some opengl-demanding booting agent... is there nothing else to do in the linux world?
        You're making the mistake here that you assume that's all they're working on. If you look at the drm pull request for the 3.5 kernel, there's tons of Intel stuff in there. So this stuff is just one part of what Intel is working on.
        Last edited by Gusar; 26 May 2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          It this also the case if I'm not using the integrated Intel graphics? I turned it off in the BIOS and use a dedicated card, but there's still quite some RAM taken by the BIOS that's not available to the system.

You're making the mistake here that you assume that's all they're working on. If you look at the drm pull request for the 3.5 kernel, there's tons of Intel stuff in there. So this stuff is just one part of what Intel is working on.
          that for sure, but theres some manpower involved and i wonder if a "nice booting experience" is as important as a say... performant and bugfree drivers... so first things first...

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Yeah, but it does seem a pointless thing to chase after, boot time and flickering are things that are never a deal breaker, at least if the user isn't a lunatic.

Yeah I know you guys love to say "don't tell people what they can do in their spare time" but does this bit of obsession on minutia help anyone? Is it just someone's obsessive compulsive disorder?

I mean show of hands, who here even bothers to shutdown or reboot outside of kernel updates or hardware upgrades?

Comment

and who leaves the room in order while rebooting and doing something else..?

id much rather see a text screen seeing all the stuff load, than to see hours of manpower wasted for some flashy eyecandy during start time...
              or my sound/pulseaudio problem fixed, which makes my computer hang on shutdown
              if there is anything that stops me from recommending linux its the office suite and the graphics performance and minor feature problems...
              its about functionality not showing off...
              (ok, i havent written a single line of code so i should better shut up, still im only writing my humble opinion on this and due to all the rant about unity and gnome 3 i think that many/most people would rather stay on a 2d gnome2 desktop with a classic taskbar and no need for graphics acceleration and instead have a few less bugs in packages and have alle the features exposed working reliably)

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                that for sure, but theres some manpower involved and i wonder if a "nice booting experience" is as important as a say... performant and bugfree drivers... so first things first...
                Yes, you are right, please ignore that 150+ bug fixes over the past 2 weeks in i915 driver we did and performance improvement which range around 10-100% all around (for some cases and some workloads which I guess we'll see when Michael runs more tests) which we sent in latest kernel pull request. They do not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  I mean show of hands, who here even bothers to shutdown or reboot outside of kernel updates or hardware upgrades?
                  I shut down every night. Polar bears, poor student etc etc.

Comment

Is there an offical Intel PPA to use that has these changes applied?

Comment

isn't here a way of making grub/syslinux use the native resolution/kms

Comment

Working...
                      X