X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benjamin545
    replied
    @ bridgeman

Ah, so, basicaly, we( we as in you, dont you just love when people say we but really they themselves aren't part of the "we") have no clue how demanding compute will be on the ir and in what way the ir will need to bend to effectivly operate.

can you tell me this then. i know we often hear about the ir languages probobly more so than any other componant of the graphics stack below the actual end user api's, but how inconviniant is it really to switch from one to the other? in a game engine it would be a real job to change out from ogl to dx, even from ogl to ogl es if ddone certain ways, but how much of a bother would it be for you to change amd compute back end frrom the llvm over to tgsi if that was the more unified aproch?

also, whats the chances someone will start slinging gcc ir in there as an option what with their plans to try and make a competing ir more like what llvm has?

Leave a comment:

• MonkeyPaw
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Every single OpenCL/dedicated block encoder so far have terrible quality, including QuickSync and what have we. Just curious, what are you doing that needs the speed more than the quality?
    I do various encodes from HD home videos to upload, as well as taking recorded TV (in HD) and encoding to x264. Last I heard, Quicksync had the best IQ when compared to other GPU off-loads, and it's ridiculously fast.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
    I'm curious too. I moved my A8-3850 to my HTPC because it was too finickey on my Ubuntu machine. I'd love to leverage the GPU on it without resorting to AMDs drivers, all I'd really like to see is some better video encoding.

Then again, Quicksync on Linux would be nice for my i3 too.
    Every single OpenCL/dedicated block encoder so far have terrible quality, including QuickSync and what have we. Just curious, what are you doing that needs the speed more than the quality?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
    it would be really good to know how we are going to move forward from here as far as what ir language will be used in gallium. right now we have tgsi being used everywhere except radeon compute, but, there were all these plans o replace the entire ir stack with llvm. this would be a start i guess, but is that what we really want? we need to stick with something though, that was kinda the entire point of gallium to try and unify as much of the graphics stack between different drivers as we can.
    I'm not sure "in gallium" is the right boundary. There's also the GLSL IR vs TGSI question.

At the time we started working on GPU compute clover used LLVM exclusively so that was the obvious choice, particularly since we were looking at LLVM for SI shader compiler...

Francisco then refactored clover as a Gallium3D state tracker so TGSI was the obvious choice, particularly since the nouveau folks were *not* looking at LLVM at the time....

I imagine the Intel devs are looking at compute with IB and for them GLSL IR will presumably be the obvious choice, since they just finished designing and implementing it...

At last year's AFDS we talked about a proposed common IR for GPU/CPU compute we were going to support as part of our Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA, previously FSA) initiative, so *that* might seem like an obvious choice if we get it right....

When we discussed this at the last XDS it seemed there hadn't been enough work done with compute to have a clear consensus on what IR should be used between GLSL IR, TGSI, LLVM, FSAIL/HSAIL or something else. We concluded that the best thing for now would be for all of us to get some experience running real world compute workloads on GPUs using whatever IR was most convenient then get back together in 12-18 months and try to converge on a single IR for graphics and compute.

There was probably an unspoken hope that we would get convergence on graphics IR first
    Last edited by bridgman; 13 May 2012, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeyPaw
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    any apps that work with it or is it tooo early for that???? (ie darktable i think uses OpenCL)

awesome work anyway
    I'm curious too. I moved my A8-3850 to my HTPC because it was too finickey on my Ubuntu machine. I'd love to leverage the GPU on it without resorting to AMDs drivers, all I'd really like to see is some better video encoding.

Then again, Quicksync on Linux would be nice for my i3 too.

Leave a comment:

• benjamin545
    replied
    it would be really good to know how we are going to move forward from here as far as what ir language will be used in gallium. right now we have tgsi being used everywhere except radeon compute, but, there were all these plans o replace the entire ir stack with llvm. this would be a start i guess, but is that what we really want? we need to stick with something though, that was kinda the entire point of gallium to try and unify as much of the graphics stack between different drivers as we can.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    any apps that work with it or is it tooo early for that???? (ie darktable i think uses OpenCL)

awesome work anyway

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Radeon Gallium3D OpenCL Is Coming Close

Radeon Gallium3D OpenCL Is Coming Close

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D OpenCL Is Coming Close

Following the OpenCL Gallium3D state tracker having been merged into Mesa earlier this week, the open-source Radeon OpenCL support is coming close...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X