Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSAA For Mesa Finally Moves Closer

Phoronix: MSAA For Mesa Finally Moves Closer

Mesa is finally getting closer to properly supporting MSAA, a.k.a. Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing, but for now this is just Intel Sandy Bridge supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All I can say is: mwahahahahahaha!!!
    MSAA has been with us like 10 years now?

Comment

Intel is doing so much work updating OSS technologies, I'm very thankful for it.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I'm just glad it's not 15 years. Or 20. Or more.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Step by step, we're getting closer to a fully open OpenGL implementation running on all relevant hardware.

People used to laugh at the state of Mozilla, OpenOffice, GCC, Linux, and almost everything else we now take for granted. There was always a clever guy who was convinced that WordPerfect and IE, in their binary emulated form, were the eternal future of the Linux desktop.

All in due time. The gap is closing, as negative as Michael is towards it.

Comment

Now if the other Mesa/Gallium3D drivers would move on with proper MSAA anti-aliasing support, albeit the drivers are already not fast enough without AA.
          Not fast enough for what?

I am a gamer and I am using them to great effect. They may not be perfect, but to just say are "not fast enough" to me crosses a line.

I just won Trine 2 with them again, a game originally released in 2011 and noted for it's graphics. Now, it did not have all of the effects going (the lack of AA being one of them) but it was certainly playable and workable.

So it was fast enough for that...

Comment

MLAA in Mesa though is done on the CPU and is already not well supported by all Mesa/Gallium3D drivers.
            Huh? MLAA is implemented by adding a post processing shader, which runs on the GPU.

I'm not sure what Michael meant there...

Also, what drivers does it not work on? Does he mean pre r5xx hardware?

Comment

Support for evergreen/cayman and WIP support for 6xx/7xx is available here:

Support for r3xx-r5xx shouldn't be too hard to add. See section 10.8 of the r5xx acceleration programming documentation:
              Last edited by agd5f; 10 May 2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Sweet, keep up the good work.

Comment

MSAA and GL 3.0

I did read somewhere that MSAA is actually required in GL 3.0 and later? If this is true? I mean Intel has been advertising GL 3 for a while now and the only add MSAA now?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie889 View Post
                    I did read somewhere that MSAA is actually required in GL 3.0 and later? If this is true? I mean Intel has been advertising GL 3 for a while now and the only add MSAA now?
                    I am curious about it, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X