KWin May Drop Support For Catalyst, Vintage GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smartysmart34 View Post
    I will continue using it just for these reasons. If KDE will not let me - Gnome is there.
    You can use KDE perfectly fine without compositing/desktop effects. In fact I do it all the time, even with the Open Source radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      You can use KDE perfectly fine without compositing/desktop effects. In fact I do it all the time, even with the Open Source radeon driver.
      I just don't get it.

I wrote that I use fglrx for other reasons than compositing and you reply by saying I can have compositing with Radeon as well? Heck yes, BUT I CAN NOT HAVE OPENCL WITH IT!.

Comment

I just don't get it.

I wrote that I use fglrx for other reasons than compositing and you reply by saying I can have compositing with Radeon as well? Heck yes, BUT I CAN NOT HAVE OPENCL WITH IT!.
        No I am not saying this. I say that you can run KDE fine with fglrx when they abandon ther OpenGL 1 support. Just without compositing.

Comment

I just don't get it.

Yes you don't get it. He said you could turn off compositing in kwin.

(note: you could also just replace kwin with something else, because kwin != kde)

Comment

Well, OK, I really didn't get it. Sorry for misinterpreting what was written.

By the way: Which alternatives are there to kwin and would they allow for desktop effects?

Comment

By the way: Which alternatives are there to kwin and would they allow for desktop effects?
              I used kde + compiz in the early kde 4.x days, because kwin was just too slow with older radeons.

Comment

Well, OK, I really didn't get it. Sorry for misinterpreting what was written.

When I run "mutter --replace" it works good.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                  proprietary drivers suck.
                  Exactly.
                  Who in their right mind would use a driver that offers maximum performance, power saving, HW video acceleration, when they can use a driver that doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Exactly.
                    Who in their right mind would use a driver that offers maximum performance, power saving, HW video acceleration, when they can use a driver that doesn't?
                    I do, because catalyst/fglrx sucks. Have you tried using it? Nearly every release introduces a new major bug. There was a release where HDMI output wouldn't work right, or where catalyst would report multiple preferred resolutions to xrandr (and not even in the correct order), X crashes with xv, gnome 3 wouldn't work for half a year (!!), suspend to ram still doesn't work reliably (ASIC hang happened, hanging unkillable X, ...), etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      I do, because catalyst/fglrx sucks. Have you tried using it? Nearly every release introduces a new major bug. There was a release where HDMI output wouldn't work right, or where catalyst would report multiple preferred resolutions to xrandr (and not even in the correct order), X crashes with xv, gnome 3 wouldn't work for half a year (!!), suspend to ram still doesn't work reliably (ASIC hang happened, hanging unkillable X, ...), etc. etc.
                      That's a problem of Catalyst, not of proprietary drivers in general.
                      Had an AMD GFX Card for half a year. Now sold it and bought nvidia.
                      The Nouveau driver is even worse than the radeon driver. But at least the proprietary drivers work like a charm here...

Comment

Working...
                      X