KWin May Drop Support For Catalyst, Vintage GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    I prefer the radeon driver but on my laptop I have had to switch to the blob to keep save power. And for gaming the open driver is to slow, be it wine or not, the open driver can even be a bit slow running my desktop in certen situations.
    The Radeon open source driver has full support for power management.

The Radeon open source driver is not slow, but I can't speak for Wine. Because the Wine project goes it alone and does not use the Gallium3D state tracker for Direct3D 10/11, Wine may not work properly with the open source Radeon driver.

The Radeon open source driver performs very well indeed for running desktop software, so much so that it is a far better option than running fglrx.
    Last edited by hal2k1; 21 February 2012, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
      And Xrender, in turn, uses the GPU hardware acceleration fratures exposed by the graphics driver.
      Yes, but it is more the 2D features of the driver. OSS radeon is reportedly better in this than fglrx.

Still I do not know how you got 60fps I get 24 on HD 4350. Your CPU may help there.

Mozilla are eventually going to switch to their own graphics canvas called Azure.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Azure will use the GPU hardware acceleration via OpenGL.
      All being well, Azure will be even faster in using the GPU & driver via OpenGL that Cairo was in using the GPU & driver via Xrender.
      Well, they are adding 'skia' library too so who knows where all this will finally lead on Linux

Comment

Because the Wine project goes it alone and does not use the Gallium3D state tracker for Direct3D 10/11, Wine may not work properly with the open source Radeon driver.
        I'm not sure anyone even ever tested that the D3D state tracker worked on the radeon drivers. It's developer was an nouveau developer, and i think he was basically the only one who ever used it at all.

Meanwhile, a wine developer has helped out a bit at times with the r600g driver, and the project has a lot of good reasons for not being able to switch away from using standard OpenGL. So I feel like you're being very unfair and misleading here.

Comment

The Radeon open source driver has full support for power management.

The Radeon open source driver is not slow, but I can't speak for Wine. Because the Wine project goes it alone and does not use the Gallium3D state tracker for Direct3D 10/11, Wine may not work properly with the open source Radeon driver.

The Radeon open source driver performs very well indeed for running desktop software, so much so that it is a far better option than running fglrx.
          Power managment does not work as well as it does with fglrx and is rather manual.
          Wine works fine with the open driveres, but it's slower and not only with DX games. Even native games are significanly slower when running the open driver then with the blob. Multiple articles on Phoronix will testify to this so i don't see why we are even debating this unless i'm just feeding a trole.

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post
            Yes, but it is more the 2D features of the driver. OSS radeon is reportedly better in this than fglrx.
            Yes, and it is primarily 2D performance that determines the performance of desktop software.

Still I do not know how you got 60fps I get 24 on HD 4350. Your CPU may help there.
            According to the most recent Graphics Card Hierarchy chart I found:

We've run hundreds of GPU benchmarks on Nvidia, AMD, and Intel graphics cards and ranked them in our comprehensive hierarchy, with over 80 GPUs tested.

... my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 GPU should have about the same performance as your HD 4350. They are on the same tier of the hierarchy chart, as is the top of the Intel range in the Intel HD Graphics 3000. Since my HD 5450 and the Intel HD Graphics 3000 both achieve 60+ fps, so too should your system. Are you running Mesa 8 and KDE 4.8 (as used in Kubuntu Precise Pangolin Alpha)? Apparently this gives a very substantial performance improvement over previous versions of the Linux graphics stack.
            Last edited by hal2k1; 21 February 2012, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post

Well, they are adding 'skia' library too so who knows where all this will finally lead on Linux
              I believe Skia support should already be working (in canvas only) in nightlies. It's off by default and still experimental, but you can enable by setting gfx.canvas.azure.enabled

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                I'm not sure anyone even ever tested that the D3D state tracker worked on the radeon drivers. It's developer was an nouveau developer, and i think he was basically the only one who ever used it at all.
                Your right it only works on Nouveau (and only on Femi afaik), to makie it work driverside IR code is needed witch is a bit hackish compared to other state trackers.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Meanwhile, a wine developer has helped out a bit at times with the r600g driver, and the project has a lot of good reasons for not being able to switch away from using standard OpenGL. So I feel like you're being very unfair and misleading here.
                  OK, so why does it apparently get poor performance compared to other software for Linux?

Note that I am going on hearsay here, I don't use Wine myself, because I use my computers for computing, not gaming.

Either someone is unfairly bashing the open source drivers by falsely reporting that they are slow with Wine, or or they are reporting it correctly and Wine is indeed buggy/slow with the open source drivers (compared to native Linux games) but not with fglrx.

So which is it?
                  Last edited by hal2k1; 21 February 2012, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Some people find that XRender performs better than OpenGL, while others find the opposite. I think I have experienced both situations depending on my software configuration. This is while running a GTX 275, which is hardly legacy hardware.

Comment

OK, so why does it apparently get poor performance compared to other software for Linux?

Note that I am going on hearsay here, I don't use Wine myself, because I use my computers for computing, not gaming.

Either someone is unfairly bashing the open source drivers by falsely reporting that they are slow with Wine, or or they are reporting it correctly and Wine is indeed buggy/slow with the open source drivers (compared to native Linux games) but not with fglrx.

So which is it?
                      I think you might have missed the point. Games running threw Wine are a lot more demanding then most native applications (though some preformance is lost doing translation in Wine). That is why you need high preformence when running games in Wine. The case is the same when running demanding games nativly:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X