X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by smartysmart34 View Post
    Well, OK, I really didn't get it. Sorry for misinterpreting what was written.

By the way: Which alternatives are there to kwin and would they allow for desktop effects?
    When I run "mutter --replace" it works good.

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    By the way: Which alternatives are there to kwin and would they allow for desktop effects?
    I used kde + compiz in the early kde 4.x days, because kwin was just too slow with older radeons.

Leave a comment:

• smartysmart34
    replied
    Well, OK, I really didn't get it. Sorry for misinterpreting what was written.

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    I just don't get it.

I wrote that I use fglrx for other reasons than compositing and you reply by saying I can have compositing with Radeon as well? Heck yes, BUT I CAN NOT HAVE OPENCL WITH IT!.
    Yes you don't get it. He said you could turn off compositing in kwin.

(note: you could also just replace kwin with something else, because kwin != kde)

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    I just don't get it.

I wrote that I use fglrx for other reasons than compositing and you reply by saying I can have compositing with Radeon as well? Heck yes, BUT I CAN NOT HAVE OPENCL WITH IT!.
    No I am not saying this. I say that you can run KDE fine with fglrx when they abandon ther OpenGL 1 support. Just without compositing.

Leave a comment:

• smartysmart34
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    You can use KDE perfectly fine without compositing/desktop effects. In fact I do it all the time, even with the Open Source radeon driver.
    I just don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    I will continue using it just for these reasons. If KDE will not let me - Gnome is there.
    You can use KDE perfectly fine without compositing/desktop effects. In fact I do it all the time, even with the Open Source radeon driver.

Leave a comment:

• xgt001
    replied
    gnome shell works fine

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    By the time this happens next year, they may well have done that. If only to get Gnome Shell working properly. Recent releases have been making some progress in this area, although it's hard to say if that was an actual goal of the fglrx team or just a coincidence.
    infact catalyst 12.1 with gnome shell and clutter vblank off, works brilliantly. May be i have a weak card (6370 M 512 VRAM) for open source drivers but I have always experienced smoother performance with fglrx and kde

Leave a comment:

• smartysmart34
    replied
    Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
    This position doesn't make any sense. KDE runs superbly well with the open source Radeon drivers, and it runs very poorly with fglrx.

You are, in effect, threating to drop KDE unless it allows you to stick to experiencing abysmal performance.

Frankly, I don't get it.
    It makes perfect sense.
    I for instance am not running fglrx just because of KDE but because of OpenCL (distributed.net anyone?, Bitcoin?).
    I use it due to better power management.
    And Video acceleration.

I will continue using it just for these reasons. If KDE will not let me - Gnome is there.
    Maybe AMD will sort it out anyway to run Gnome Shell. Then this is a non-issue.

I assume I'm not too special about this topic. I'm just a user who wants to use the system. Not fiddle with configs. If it doesn't run, I change to something that works. And usually I don't come back until some other problem forces me to do so.
    So i do think that KDE might lose a significant part of its AMD-user base if people will be let alone on this one.

OT:
    But then again, it seems to be one of the major trends in the linux environment to break things.
    - Pulseaudio with KDE is a pain in the neck
    - KMail -> KMail2
    - The vast majority of KDE releases before 4.6
    - Desktopsearch (Beagle -> Strigi/Nepomuk)
    - Playing a simple Audio CD from the CD drive (without actually ripping it. just playing...)
    - Kernel APIs that keep requiring rebuilding modules like fglrx after EVEREY single kernel patch. I hope for improvement due to EFI and signed drivers
    - ... I could go on....

cheers,
    Martin

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Why is KDE not try the OpenGL ES 2.0 Implementation in den fglrx? Since 10.8 or 10.9 its in the Catalyst package available for all Radeon GPUs since HD2xxx.

I have no problem with dropping the Ogl 1 path but first fix the problems with Ogl2 path or find an other solution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X