• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Morphological Anti-Aliasing With Mesa 8.0

Morphological Anti-Aliasing With Mesa 8.0

Phoronix: Morphological Anti-Aliasing With Mesa 8.0

One of the less talked about features of Mesa 8.0 is its ability to handle MLAA, which is short for Morphological Anti-Aliasing. But how does MLAA on the open-source graphics drivers affect the OpenGL performance and is it worth it for boosting the image quality through this anti-aliasing technique? In this article are some benchmarks of MLAA under Mesa 8.0.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17062

• whizse
    replied
    Originally posted by tholin View Post
    Anyone know what it would take to get MSAA support up and running? The register reference mentions a MSAA_ENABLE bit but somehow I doubt it's as simple as just flipping that control register.
    It doesn't answer your question but there's an old git branch which seems to contain some initial work on MSAA:
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...h=gallium-msaa

Leave a comment:

• Nedanfor
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    People in this thread are fighting over what the best postprocessing-based antialiasing algorithm is, but what exactly is implemented in Mesa anyway? MLAA describes a class of algorithms, not a specific one.
    Jimenez's MLAA.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    People in this thread are fighting over what the best postprocessing-based antialiasing algorithm is, but what exactly is implemented in Mesa anyway? MLAA describes a class of algorithms, not a specific one.

Leave a comment:

• tholin
    replied
    Anyone know what it would take to get MSAA support up and running? The register reference mentions a MSAA_ENABLE bit but somehow I doubt it's as simple as just flipping that control register.

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Not at the speed the Mesa drivers are running at, it's not.
    I know, especially since I'm considering a 27-30" panel using DP and 10-bit color depth for my next workstation.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    MSAA(and related) is of course preferred over MLAA.
    Not at the speed the Mesa drivers are running at, it's not.

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    Michael: Can you please use lossless pictures in these reviews? It's kind of hard to see the differences with all the jpeg artifacts.

A suggestion for future test: do a "stress test" to compare texture mipmapping with/without AF and different levels of AA.

-----

MSAA(and related) is of course preferred over MLAA.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    SMAA isn't a full rewrite/new algo, it builds on the MLAA work. SMAA 1x is only slightly changed from the older MLAA.
    The higher quality modes are also slower, only the 1x mode is ~the same speed as MLAA.

Is there any plan to bring that in, or will Mesa stick with this code for a while?
    No plans from my side, but patches welcome as usual

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Didn't Jiminez throw away this algorithm and create some new AA technique recently, or update to a new version? Is there any plan to bring that in, or will Mesa stick with this code for a while?
    Indeed, he did. IIRC, it's called SMAA (subpixel morphological AA) and offers significantly better quality at the same performance cost.

Originally posted by RealNC
    What about MSAA?
    Do note that the old-school MSAA is quickly becoming obsolete with these new methods. SMAA offers quality equivalent to 4x MSAA at the cost of 2x MSAA and with greater flexibility to boot. A proper in-game implementation doesn't suffer from blurry fonts, so there's very little reason to use MSAA anymore - its few advantages don't outweight its cost.

Jimenez's papers are worth a read.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X