Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlbertP
    replied
    Catalyst is indeed rendering differently. But like I said before it's also possible that the bloom was originally written on Catalyst, without noticing that it relied on wrong driver behaviour.

In that case a combination of a Nexuiz bug and a Catalyst bug causes it to be rendered correctly on Catalyst only.

Leave a comment:

• Nedanfor
    replied
    Looks like Catalyst rendering is the wrong one: nVidia blobs vs. Catalyst. As you can see, it's nVidia blobs + r300g/r600g vs Catalyst.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    jpeg and small pictures. There is no need to comment on this article. Every difference can be explained by this two things alone.

Next time lossless and huge, please.

Leave a comment:

• AlbertP
    replied
    AMD got it somehow working with their 12.1 blob by doing all hybrid stuff in userspace - the X server still thinks one of the two cards does everything. It's still a hack, but it seems a good one (however, nowhere as good as hybrid graphics should be).

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    you are fullly aware about the whole hoo-ha regarding switchable graphics solutions in notebooks (NVIDIA has their Optimus, and AMD has their PowerXpress). Will we be seeing any improvements for PowerXpress support in the proprietary driver stack, and will AMD be cooperating with the Bumblebee developers to support this, or will the support be built into the open Radeon driver?
    Supporting hybrid graphics well is mostly limited by a lack of infrastructure in the graphics stack to properly support decoupled rendering and display. The driver side is pretty trivial. The infrastructure to support it without ugly hacks is starting to fall into place:
    1. The initial v1 dma_buf patches landed in 3.3. This allows sharing buffers between drivers
    2. Dave's "Prime" work builds on the dma_buf patches to allow buffer sharing between KMS drivers for things like hybrid graphics on laptops
    3. Reworking the X server to handle decoupled rendering and display

Until all of that falls into place, it will always be a hack. There isn't really any magic involved. One GPU renders, the other GPU composites the result to the screen. Anyone can help out.
    Last edited by agd5f; 17 February 2012, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nedanfor
    replied
    Originally posted by mangobrain View Post
    Regardless of whether or not mental health issues are an interesting topic of discussion, they're not relevant to this thread.

So, how 'bout those rendering differences, eh?
    If anybody is still reading this thread, would be great to repeat the test with nouveau/nVidia blobs/intel/intel driver on Windows/llvmpipe to compare the Enemy screenshots. I think it's difficult to establish which one is wrong between Catalyst and r300g/r600g without other data.

Leave a comment:

• mangobrain
    replied
    Regardless of whether or not mental health issues are an interesting topic of discussion, they're not relevant to this thread.

So, how 'bout those rendering differences, eh?

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Facts doesn't matter for him he is only interested in blaming me with his Mental Fascism this means he think he is 100% right for ALL HUMANS and I'm only a sick-sub-human and he likes to wipe my voice out. He think I'm sick and he are the Doctor curing the world by cleaning it from sick sub-humans like me.
    What a wildly DELUSIONAL point of view.

First off, maybe you can't actually grasp the differences between irony and sarcasm and how they actually apply to each other. But i've provided the relevant information, and it's NOT my problem that you are an ignorant FOOL.

2nd. Who said anything about you being sub-human?? i didn't. And to be clear - i don't think of any human as being 'sub-human', and that includes the severely handicapped, or people with genetic deseases, etc, etc.... But obviously this is the kind of thing that you DO think about, otherwise you wouldn't have said it in the first place. - You mind is in the gutter, pal.... I would characterize you as being an ignorant ASSHOLE, who posts retarded offensive shit, day and night. As far as I am concerned Q, if you want to dish it out - you better be able to take it, you whiny little bitch... You keep saying 'Mental fascism" - are you sure that you don't mean PSYCHOLOGICAL FASCISM? either way, it doesn't matter. the best you can do is call us 'mental-fascists' and make ridiculous <false> statements that have NO bearing on REALITY. Most of the time, they aren't coherent enough to be legible..

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    he is just a mental-Nazi/ Mental-Fascist /Mental-Racist

but even the REAL NAZIS are smarter than him because THEY KNOW THEY ARE BAD NAZIS!
    just so we are clear, there is no such thing as "Mental-Racism".... Did you mean Psychological discrimination??? if so, you'd be DEAD WRONG!! ~ What i am doing ~ we can call 'Asshole Discrimination'.

..and again, you are the one who posts/threads about your political views all over Phoronix, and in your mind, anyone who disagrees is a mental-nazi or whatever other nonsense that you can come up with in that fucked up head of yours. Give it up, Q.
    Last edited by ninez; 16 February 2012, 10:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    For the record, sarcasm is a form of irony:
    Sure is nice that we have a visual comparison from the nVidia driver too! (the irony being that from reading that sentence you might expect there to be a comparison with the nvidia driver, but in reality there isn't--a discrepancy between reality and what you expect)
    Not exactly. Your statement above is actually sarcasm, as it is a form of wit. Irony *in itself*, is not a form of wit, humor, etc. It is situational... ( but yes, you ARE utilizing irony. )

Irony is more like a tool/facility that is used in Sarcasm.

"Sarcasm and Irony have a very close relationship with one another. Both tend to be used to make a poignant or entertaining statement. Often times, people say something is ironic when it is actually sarcastic and vice versa because the two concepts have become so intertwined, whereas, in actuality, *sarcasm is a concept that utilizes irony*. In many instances, sarcasm is a remark seasoned with irony. *You can think of irony as a vessel to express many things in a sarcastic way.* <..snip...> In addition, *sarcasm is always considered a form of wit*, whereas *irony can be found in any type of situation, be it funny or quite serious.* Irony takes on many forms (generally tragic and situational irony) that are very saddening and in no way considered mockery. In this sense Irony is a bit more varied and far-reaching in its scope than sarcasm."

I thought this was a reasonably concise explanation between the two..

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    On that note, it does look to me like some part of the rendering is not aligned properly in the enemy screenshot, possibly in the one with the explosion too. I couldn't really see a difference in the first one.
    I am interested to see if;

Originally posted by MistaED View Post
    Hi,

Usually bloom is a post-process rendered to a full-screen quad but you'd need to see the game's source code to be sure (is this it? http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xono...ository_Access). It looks like the mapping could be wrong in the open driver or it could be a bug in the game's source. Usually the approach is you render off-screen to a texture that's bounded to a framebuffer object, then you assign it to a full-screen quad and blend it on top of the rendered screen before calling swap via GLX/EGL/whatever. Now the gallium driver might be getting confused with UV co-ordinates and isn't placing the texture in the right spot (it looks offset, perhaps it is expecting a signed value and the UVs 0.0f,0.0f could correspond to the middle (with a UV range of -0.5f,0.5f) while the catalyst driver has 0.5f,0.5f as the middle (with a UV range of 0.0f,1.0f), something like that as a guess, or it's a shader bug.

I can't view the source to be sure, is there a web portal to view it without downloading the whole thing?
    ...MistaED (or someone else) tracked down this code and took a look.

cheerz
    Last edited by ninez; 16 February 2012, 03:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I still don't understand why we're supposed to care if you use a windows modem. Seeing as how you manage the OSS graphics team, I would expect you to be somewhat familiar with Linux and the OSS driver, but I don't care how you connect to the internet any more than i care what your cable provider is or if you enjoy fishing.

I probably shouldn't have posted this - it's just going to encourage Q to post another 50 gibberish posts attacking us. But I wanted to let you know that most people here appreciate the OSS drivers and the work you're doing.
    Ditto. Bridgman could be using OS X, Windows 7, BSD, Haiku, etc etc for all we care, it does not make a difference as long as he is doing a good job in ensuring development of the open radeon driver (which appears to be coming along nicely at any rate).

But seeing as how Bridgman is also an AMD employee, I'm curious to know if he has any say on the developent of the proprietary Catalyst driver for Linux?

And lastly, one question for Bridgman himself: you are fullly aware about the whole hoo-ha regarding switchable graphics solutions in notebooks (NVIDIA has their Optimus, and AMD has their PowerXpress). Will we be seeing any improvements for PowerXpress support in the proprietary driver stack, and will AMD be cooperating with the Bumblebee developers to support this, or will the support be built into the open Radeon driver?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X