Image Quality Comparison: Radeon Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russofris View Post
    It's like ray-eee-ayne....... On your wedding day...... If you're a meteorologist.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Mesa absolutely is NOT the reference implementation (@Qaridium: that's spelled with an f, not a v).
      It's a third-party implementation of a standard, which isn't even permitted to refer to the standard in its name.
      It has passed many conformance tests using the software renderer, but then, so have the NVidia & AMD/ATI blobs--and thase have passed more current ones (or they couldn't advertise OpenGL 4 support)
      If you bothered to read the history under doc/, you'd know this.

There is a free "Sample Implementation" for OpenGL, but it wasn't updated past GL1.4.

OpenGL 3 is only available on radeon with "8.0"-git (="master" head, not the mesa 8.0 branch), FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
        Mesa absolutely is NOT the reference implementation (@Qaridium: that's spelled with an f, not a v).
        It's a third-party implementation of a standard, which isn't even permitted to refer to the standard in its name.
        It has passed many conformance tests using the software renderer, but then, so have the NVidia & AMD/ATI blobs--and thase have passed more current ones (or they couldn't advertise OpenGL 4 support)
        If you bothered to read the history under doc/, you'd know this.

There is a free "Sample Implementation" for OpenGL, but it wasn't updated past GL1.4.

OpenGL 3 is only available on radeon with "8.0"-git (="master" head, not the mesa 8.0 branch), FWIW.
        If you find a place where mesa is non-reference, feel free to submit bug :P

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
          JB, nothing personal, this was just a demonstration on how someone would go about trolling the forum. You're not an uncle tom, mainly because it's impossible as we don't have slavery any more. Secondly because IP isn't actual "property". Thirdly, because it makes no sense whatsoever and you're white.... It's complete rubish and I feel bad for writing it, even if it is only to show people how to troll.
          Property is property; and you are somewhere correct about JB, at least I stongly believe it is his assigned job, rather than personal position.

Comment

Actuall I think fglrx renders this correctly, and Mesa has a problem with the bloom.

The purple glow (bloom) should be where the model is bright, but it seems that the bloom texture is rendered a bit too low, showing up, e.g., on the floor instead of showing up on the specular highlight on the leg. Same for the specular highlight on the shoulders, which renders on the belly.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageX View Post
              Actuall I think fglrx renders this correctly, and Mesa has a problem with the bloom.

The purple glow (bloom) should be where the model is bright, but it seems that the bloom texture is rendered a bit too low, showing up, e.g., on the floor instead of showing up on the specular highlight on the leg. Same for the specular highlight on the shoulders, which renders on the belly.
              Wow - it's almost like my original post describing the problem was genuine, and not an attack on free software at all!

Seriously though, I'm glad someone else is seeing the same thing I am, and thanks for posting something on-topic. Here's hoping Q doesn't come and derail everything again.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                If you find a place where mesa is non-reference, feel free to submit bug :P
                Feel free to do so for any other driver as well. That doesn't make them reference implementations anymore than Mesa is.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  the real point is the reality is even more harder than you try to troll.

""While John Bridgman is an open source developer, his defence of the closed source catalyst binaries makes him an Uncle-Tom in the eyes of many FOSS advocates""

because bridgman is a 100% vista and catalyst on vista user.

we do have a AMD-opensource spoken man in this forum with ZERO opensource in private usage.
                  You misunderstood me....

See what I did there?
                  F

Comment

We need a more vaste comparison

I'm really interested in the Enemy-"bug": can somebody do this test with nVidia-blobs? Could be interesting also doing it with Intel drivers on Windows. I think that a more vaste comparison would help to know what output is incorrect. Even doing it with other FLOSS drivers (like llvmpipe, nouveau and intel) would be great, because if there is a problem regarding r300/r600 drivers maybe it isn't a problem of Mesa.

Comment

I don't see much difference between the pictures

In the picture with the purple monster, the only difference I see is a purple reflection on the floor, and some smoke at the wall, which are missing in the catalyst-generated one. So can I conclude that catalyst fails to render smoke in this game?
                      For the rest, I see no difference. At least not in quality. The image-delta pictures proof that the difference is there of course, but who can say which of the pictures is a more correct rendering?

Comment

Working...
                      X