No announcement yet.

Where Things Fall Short: Eight Shortcomings Of Mesa 8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is possible known how much patent issue on some functionalities present on the OpenGL standard could affect 3d applications as for example blender?*

Also is possible known if at least intel have made some workaround about similar problem on their drive? For their Cpu?

Note:
    On the article the main topic is the game aspect while i'm more interest on other type of applications.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      I wonder when we'll see the "Eight Shortcomings of PTS" article. It's so easy to pick a random missing feature and complain about it. Here, let me give you five to get you started:
      You might have just won at Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by alelinuxbsd View Post
        Is possible known how much patent issue on some functionalities present on the OpenGL standard could affect 3d applications as for example blender?*
        Check which OpenGL features/extensions they use and then check the ARB extension registry to see if those extensions have patents on them? Or, alternatively, just run those apps on stock Mesa drivers and see if they work?

Also is possible known if at least intel have made some workaround about similar problem on their drive? For their Cpu?
        Unfortunately, the hardware aspects aren't the problem. The ATI/NVIDIA hardware already implements these patented features. The problem is that the software drivers have to implement parts of them to support various corner cases. It might in theory be possible for the drivers to just be thin wrappers around hardware which implements all these features, but that would make the cost of the hardware skyrocket.

Comment

Working...
        X