X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fa5hion
    replied
    Originally posted by archibald View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Ironlake only supports OpenGL 2.1.
    Can anyone confirm that? Thanks for the link anyway.

Leave a comment:

• archibald
    replied
    Originally posted by fa5hion View Post
    Are there plans to support OpenGL 3.0 with Intel Ironlake or is it impossible due to deficiencies in hardware? I remember seeing somewhere that Ironlake should be DX10 capable. Shouldn't that translate to OpenGL 3.x?
    The correspondance between DirectX and OpenGL isn't exact. According to Wikipedia, Ironlake only supports OpenGL 2.1.

Leave a comment:

• fa5hion
    replied
    OpenGL 3.0 on Intel Ironlake

Are there plans to support OpenGL 3.0 with Intel Ironlake or is it impossible due to deficiencies in hardware? I remember seeing somewhere that Ironlake should be DX10 capable. Shouldn't that translate to OpenGL 3.x?

Leave a comment:

• Sha43Gal
    replied
    I don't want even to mention Direct3D 10

Leave a comment:

• jltyper
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    :Facepalm:

Edit: Ironically OS X by not being DirectX compatible is helping us with the DirectX issue
    This doesn't sound right at all to me. Competing by using exclusion? I really doubt open source developers would be happy with such a strategy, even if it was used for their favor.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
    Do what VLC do: Setup the main "office" for the project outside of 'Murica.
    VLC is stationed in France, and by that autobypassing most annoying patents. They also get some protection for being a non profit organisation, something other projects should do.
    MESA could just move nationality, and bypass the entire problem.
    Mesa has already implemented the patent-covered code, so that wouldn't change anything. It's the distros, like Red Hat and Canonical, that are choosing not to ship that code.

Leave a comment:

• del_diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by sandain View Post
    Oh wise sage drag, why don't you explain how you believe patents and patent law really work, because I obviously know jack squat.

The chance of US5956431 being marked as invalid is low considering the past history of this patent, however I would have to argue that the chance of this happening is not nil. The legal mess that is the smart phone industry is our best bet for this to happen.

I agree that software patents need to die, but I don't see patent reform going anywhere with the current political environment here in the US. Besides boycotting pro-software patent companies, how do you suggest we go about fighting software patents?
    Do what VLC do: Setup the main "office" for the project outside of 'Murica.
    VLC is stationed in France, and by that autobypassing most annoying patents. They also get some protection for being a non profit organisation, something other projects should do.
    MESA could just move nationality, and bypass the entire problem.

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Bullshit. Go troll somewhere else you fucking cunt.
    Troll? You are too ignorant and out of the "commercial and business" world to understand my words.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by jltyper View Post
    I believe this statement should be corrected to

"Microsoft > Linux. This is enough to explain why Linux will never get into the Desktop Market."

Microsoft > Linux, can actually be used an explanation for its complete and utter failure on the desktop front. Just look at the math. See the ">". It explains everything.
    Microsoft can equal whatever it wants all day. Doesn't matter. Its all about the ">".

Look at this!
    > > =

This proves there is no hope. No hope for open source. No hope for anything at all.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BRICK WALL! - end of universe
    :Facepalm:

You missed his point entirely, as did the poster above you. The problem is not one of better or worse the problem is one of market acceptance. To be blunt MS Office is basically ubiquitous, until we can make an ODF based office suite the dominant one people are going to be using a Microsoft endorsed OS (Windows or OS X), and DirectX being the most popular api for writing games against providing most of the hardware abstraction means that developers are going to be trained on that api and not necessarily proficient in any others which means that at least AAA games are going to tend to stick to being Windows.

Edit: Ironically OS X by not being DirectX compatible is helping us with the DirectX issue
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 11 January 2012, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jltyper
    replied
    Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    Microsoft = Office Suite + DirectX. This is enough to explain why Linux will never get into the Desktop Market.
    I believe this statement should be corrected to

"Microsoft > Linux. This is enough to explain why Linux will never get into the Desktop Market."

Microsoft > Linux, can actually be used an explanation for its complete and utter failure on the desktop front. Just look at the math. See the ">". It explains everything.
    Microsoft can equal whatever it wants all day. Doesn't matter. Its all about the ">".

Look at this!
    > > =

This proves there is no hope. No hope for open source. No hope for anything at all.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BRICK WALL! - end of universe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X