Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official: Mesa 8.0 With OpenGL 3.0

Phoronix: It's Official: Mesa 8.0 With OpenGL 3.0

Mesa, the heart of the open-source 3D graphics drivers for Linux, will see its 8.0 release in February with OpenGL 3.0 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenGL 3.0 support in Mesa also doesn't mean you can magically go play the latest games now on the open-source drivers, but there's still some inherent limitations. Mesa still doesn't have S3TC (S3 Texture Compression) support by default nor support for other features like floating-point textures since they are covered by patents. These patented features are critical for some games, but alas it's not happening for now in Mesa.
    Mesa has support for both, it's just up to the distros themselves to enable it or not. Some do, others don't.

Comment

Wow, Linux is catching up with the technology which was released just 3,5 years ago (and I don't want even to mention Direct3D 10 which was released in 2006). Oh my goodness.

Comment

Why does it hurt so bad when I read a Phoronix headline saying "It's Official"?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Wow, Linux is catching up with the technology which was released just 3,5 years ago
          Open-source, not Linux. OpenGL 4.2 support is already available in Linux, just in closed source drivers.

Comment

Ok Ok Ok we need proprietary drivers to have OpenGL 3 and 4. Ok. Let me think: I have an AMD card. Crap.

ps: I big thanks to the community that is working on OpenGL in the OSS driver. These are the good news we all want to hear!

Comment

Congratulations are in order to all those who have been working on Mesa. It's been a lot of work to hit the 3.0 milestone, but we've gotten there (at least for intel, and hopefully not too long for some of the Gallium drivers).

It looks like a large amount of the work for 3.1 is already done, as well as some of 3.2, and a good amount of 3.3, so hopefully the next few versions will come quickly.

If nothing else, GL 3.0 will put GNU/Linux (and anyone else who uses Mesa + GEM/TTM + other necessary bits) ahead of Mac OS 10.7 for now.

Comment

This would be more meaningful if there was also S3TC support out-of-the-box but still a very important milestone indeed.

Comment

This would be more meaningful if there was also S3TC support out-of-the-box but still a very important milestone indeed.
                  I suppose you'd like the library to be able to give blowjobs, too. But like that S3TC is not going to happen, for what should be obvious reasons.
                  Eventually the patent will expire or somebody will officially release a 'promise not to sue' and then it would be accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Wow, Linux is catching up with the technology which was released just 3,5 years ago (and I don't want even to mention Direct3D 10 which was released in 2006). Oh my goodness.
                    Yes, Mesa is a miserable failure. GNOME also. And Linux and open source. And GCC. Waaahh whaaaah.

Comment

Working...
                    X