No announcement yet.

AMD's Paying For Some Open-Source OpenCL Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They already have an infrastructure, it's called Catalyst. Yes it sucks. But I don't think this is about supporting open source or Linux, I think this is about promoting the use of OpenCL in apps, because only if apps start leveraging the GPU they can compete with Intel.

Comment

what short memory's you have

:wave:

Michael said:

"AMD's interested in driving the use of OpenCL within the open-source world, and they're willing to pay for it. One of their new contracts is to have more of the OpenCL work for GIMP/GEGL on the Open Computing Language. "

..."GSoC has obviously been over for a few months, but there's now word that AMD is financing the student developer (Victor Oliveira) to keep working on this code. "I've been contacted by AMD and they are very interested in OpenCL adoption by the Open-Source community and want to help me to continue this project. So, I'll be continuing it as a contractor for AMD in the next few months. Of course, all code will be Open-Source. In fact, I've been developing it in my Gegl branch." ....
      "

"AMD's interested in driving the use of OpenCL within the open-source world" indeed, did you forget already what
      a mess last chrismas's SDK release turned into where they included the OVDecode.lib for the windows 32bit install, but OVDecode.so Never actually appeared in the 32 bit linux lib/x86 dir, did that change all of a sudden today as regards the OpenCL OpenVideo driver for video decode ( the only part many of us care about as a first step), a full year later !

gbeauche said: "OpenVideo has public headers and private (or inexistent) libraries for Linux. Ever seen something right at ATI? "

etc....

never mind paying for it, how about they actually release compile the damned OVDecode code for linux use and give it some DCAA

Comment

Amd has got huge performance problems as the speed/core is not good. But compared to intel they have got the faster gpu. Amd officially dislikes cpu only benchmarks - they hate sysmark as their cpus win absolutely nothing against Intel. So they NEED software that can use the gpu. They do nothing else than Nvidia, they even helped to produce CUDA apps because those do not run on Amd gpus. In order to win some benchmarks AMD needs OpenCL, so they need an app that really speeds up using it. Paying a developer to create what they need is somehow logical, but the idea comes a bit late

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Amd has got huge performance problems as the speed/core is not good.
          Yeah, provided you're using this logic:

take a single-threaded benchmarks where AMD ties Intel, normalize to 8 core vs 4 core(because hyperthreading is magically much less like a real core in this particular scenario than it normally is when Intel fans are bragging about it), then exclaim "well, it took AMD twice as many cores just to tie Intel, so they're half as fast per core".

Although Llano and Trinity should certainly stomp anything Intel has when properly utilizing GPU compute, but when AMD benchmarks 8 x faster than Intel in Gimp3, everyone will start counting shaders as cores; "OMG, AMD needed 120x more cores to beat Intel by a mere 800%!!!! FAIL!!!!!"

Comment

Maybe the timing is not optimal for Amd because most likely Intel will ship DX11 gpus next year around the same time when the Gimp job is expected to be done. Most likely the hardware would be able to handle OpenCL as well and if they are unlucky Intel will beat em again even with optimized software with gpu support. They really should have done more of those things before to shine in benchmarks. For desktop users often a simple i3 dual core is the better choice than trinity athlons because of the simple fact that most of the software today still is single threaded and does not require more than two cores (and does not use OpenCL as well). Of course for Gentoo/Arch/Bsd users this is usually not the case but for average users the cpu works slower for common tasks. Those users can be convinced by cheap prices but not via benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

why they decided to fund GEGL???. i mean its important for many projects but its not something really important like infrastructure (ie clover, openGL 4, g3d video etc)
              Because GIMP is one of those apps that runs on Windows, has a very large market share on Windows (more people run GIMP under Windows than those who run GIMP under Linux), and it would significantly benefit Windows users, and I could easily see AMD marketing graphics products for GIMP with GEGL support.. Clover doesn't really benefit Windows users since they all use proprietary drivers anyway, Windows users don't need OpenGL4 because they have DX11 which is better... etc. etc. I think GEGL was a very good move as it has a huge market area (Linux + Windows) users and it's something they can use to market their OpenCL graphics cards, not to mention that they're also doing something for the open source community.. There's a lot of pros in this move by AMD if you look at the bigger picture.
              Last edited by Sidicas; 29 November 2011, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Age of enlightenment

I'd love to see OpenCL extensions added to Qt, the defacto open source C++ cross platform framework. Efforts focused on one project like QT can populate into thousands of other projects and products giving the desktop a new renaissance not available to those mamby-pamby tablet applications

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                  Because GIMP is one of those apps that runs on Windows, has a very large market share on Windows (more people run GIMP under Windows than those who run GIMP under Linux), and it would significantly benefit Windows users, and I could easily see AMD marketing graphics products for GIMP with GEGL support.. Clover doesn't really benefit Windows users since they all use proprietary drivers anyway, Windows users don't need OpenGL4 because they have DX11 which is better... etc. etc. I think GEGL was a very good move as it has a huge market area (Linux + Windows) users and it's something they can use to market their OpenCL graphics cards, not to mention that they're also doing something for the open source community.. There's a lot of pros in this move by AMD if you look at the bigger picture.
                  afaik most windows users just pirate photoshop

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                    GIMP is FLOSS software, please.

DX11 is not better, it is closed proprietary library/API, officially pushed by company, widely known for Embrace, Extend, Extinguish and other non-ethical tactics, to the standard in computer graphics. As such, many developers actively refuse to utilize it or refuse to use it as the only renderpath.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    afaik most windows users just pirate photoshop
                    Correct, sir. Most ways GIMP is preferred to PS is that a person either explicitly obeys the laws and does not have the money, or the person explicitly prefers FLOSS software and PS as both non-present on linux(ignorant) and proprietary looses both ends.
                    Some margin of commercial PS plugins actually exist as GIMP versions and are sold for GIMP usage (linux or not).
                    For the same reason some people/companies prefer to use LibreOffice instead of MSO, on windows(when this OS forced,in 95% of cases, or wanted by individual himself).

I congratulate Victor for getting the contract, although, as in case with opensource driver policy, unless he has skills equal to John Carmack, the raw lack of manpower will make its appearance yet again. But overall, as student or trainee project, this is good for AMD to test his skills. I wonder what will happen if he succeeds... and weather it will happen in windows amd task group.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                      I'd love to see OpenCL extensions added to Qt, the defacto open source C++ cross platform framework. Efforts focused on one project like QT can populate into thousands of other projects and products giving the desktop a new renaissance not available to those mamby-pamby tablet applications
                      err what!!!!!!! ^^^

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/04/07/using-opencl-with-qt/
                      Using OpenCL with Qt

QtOpenCL Reference Documentation

QtOpenCL is a set of extension classes for the QtCore and QtOpenGL modules to enable the use of OpenCL in Qt 4.6.2 and Qt 4.7.

Install Qt for embedded ARM

damn those ARM nokia people giving the embedded tablet applications developers this

imagine what could be if only ARM mali gfx would be top tear OpenCL (Hardware assisted) provider and could get to use this OpenCL thing
                      http://blogs.arm.com/multimedia/626-launching-mali-t658-“hi-five-eight-welcome-to-the-party”/page___gocomments__1__st__5

y
                      ou should probably not go an read about the quad core ARM/NEON CPU SOC or the

Samsung’s newest 2GHz dual-core Exynos 5250 utilizes....

as it may shatter your "giving the desktop a new renaissance" well until the desktop ARM machines make it into retail next year or so.... perhaps less
                      Last edited by popper; 30 November 2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X