Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mesa/Gallium3D Work With The Open-Source Doom 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Compare that to how we were in 2007 before the ball started rolling.
    Hell, tried running Doom 3 using Mesa 7.8 some year and a half ago. Completely unplayable, unlike now. Things are roling really fast lately here.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...s_3.html#sect0

Not jaw-dropping by today's standards, but you can see some bump mapping missing. I imagine that's easier to see on enemies then walls. Also check out the framerates on those video cards.
      Ouch, the low screenshots there look like the ultra ones here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
        From my experience, Doom 3 in Wine runs much better than the native version (getting around 40 fps on Radeon HD 4550), probably because Wine does some optimizations while native binary is unoptimized and pretty much old now. In fact, I never really got the sound working right when running Doom 3 natively on Linux, the sound just disappears after some time. Never saw that happening in Doom 3 in Wine.
        What resolution were you playing at? Those FPS actually sound about right when considering my native performance on my Radeon HD 4670 with Fedora 16 and XFCE was about the same as my brothers Radeon HD 3650 with Fedora 15 and LXDE. Maybe your settings were simply different?

By the way, framerates tend to be up to around 30% higher when running the game in single-user mode using xgame script, probably because there's no DE overhead that way.
        I have never really encountered frame rate boosts with xgamer, though it is quite useful in isolating games from the rest of your system. Still, now you make me want to mess with it again. What exactly do you mean by single-user mode with it?

Hell, tried running Doom 3 using Mesa 7.8 some year and a half ago. Completely unplayable, unlike now. Things are roling really fast lately here.
        Indeed, I first noticed Doom 3 working properly in about early 2010. I was running Fedora 12 and had the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed at the time and at about early February on a whim I started a Doom 3 binary I had installed on a different drive and to my surprise it launched and I was able to load a level. There was some graphical problems with the lightmaps and the performance was nothing to write home about, but it ran.

With the release of Fedora 13 everything did work, except for the shadowing, which has been working fine since Fedora 15 and the switch to Gallium 3D. Ever since then it has just been more and more optimizations. Lets hope we see some more soon.

Comment

I am pretty sure he is using the free Gallium 3D drivers rather than Catalyst Qaridarium. Why else would he be posting in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            I am pretty sure he is using the free Gallium 3D drivers rather than Catalyst Qaridarium. Why else would he be posting in this thread?
            Well, there are many extensions from OGL3, in current mesa.

Comment

@Qaridarium

thats complete bullshit. wine matches opengl 1:1 and does not transform opengl 2 to 3. but the sound system is really outdated in the old doom3 native binary, should be much better when the source code can be fixed. maybe even a recompile against new libs is enough. i also did crossplattform tests some years ago and i remember that you have got verify aa/af settings ingame via screenshots against the win version. i did several speed tests and linux was often a tiny bit faster because parts of those where not active. you should be sure that you compare the same visuals not something you can benchmark but is rendered differently.

Comment

Doom3 can not detect the true amount of video ram when running with the open source drivers. So it defaults to 64mb or so and therefore chooses low quality rendering. You have to force the vram amount in the config to get high or ultra quality.

Low quality rendering is not caused by the free drivers but by a game bug. Quake4 with the default config has the same problem, but is fixable the same way.

Click to enlarge

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
                  Doom3 can not detect the true amount of video ram when running with the open source drivers. So it defaults to 64mb or so and therefore chooses low quality rendering. You have to force the vram amount in the config to get high or ultra quality.
                  The Phoronix Test Suite automatically overrides the video RAM detection with the id Tech games using its correct detection mechanisms for open and closed drivers.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

But something is definitly wrong with your screens. This is not ultra quality and I don't think it's a driver problem as I'm able to get good quality with the free drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      this is a know openGL2.1 catalyst bug wine runs faster because wine translate it into openGL3.x
                      most people are bitten by this bug if they try to play HON.
                      no

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      @Qaridarium

wine matches opengl 1:1 and does not transform opengl 2 to 3
                      correct

Comment

Working...
                      X