Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mesa/Gallium3D Work With The Open-Source Doom 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Mesa/Gallium3D Work With The Open-Source Doom 3?

Phoronix: Will Mesa/Gallium3D Work With The Open-Source Doom 3?

With the release of the Doom 3 source-code coming up soon (after John Carmack is done addressing a patent issue), it's time to begin dusting off your old id Software Doom 3 DVD/CDs and/or get ready to begin developing new content and games on the id Tech 4 engine. If you're wondering whether or not the open-source Mesa/Gallium3D Linux drivers in 2011 will now work with the id Tech 4 game from 2004, here are some tests of the very latest open-source Intel, ATI/AMD, and NVIDIA drivers under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For this article I'm only getting text in half of the content column, and all the graphs are getting cut off. It appears that the ad is taking up an entire column instead of being floated in the text.

Firefox 8, Windows Vista.

Comment

Having never played Doom3, are the textures really that blurry? Or does it fall back due to lacking some feature?

If that's how it's supposed to look at Ultra, I'm severely disappointed in the Crysis of its time..

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Having never played Doom3, are the textures really that blurry?
        If you run it at its lowest settings, yes. And with the open drivers, you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          If you run it at its lowest settings, yes. And with the open drivers, you have to.
          The article implies they were at Ultra?

Comment

I would not use nouveau for long time as the binary driver is much better, i tested it a few month ago however. intel users can not switch, but i. e. xbmc can use vaapi acc with full h264 l5.1 support where even fglrx fails (via xvba wrapper). if you have got a strong cpu when maybe use ati oss, but for me thats pointless especially with a fast ati card - you lose so much speed and opengl features.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to those image comparisons! They are extremely interesting now that I know that my Radeon 4850 should kick ass and handle it quite well.

Comment

Of course you can always reuse your old board, cpu fan, ram, psu... forget that stupid idea soon.

Comment

The site needs a new look, it's too thin for modern displays (larger than 1024px). Also, a lot of space is wasted and ads are bad placed (obstrusive with the content).

This is more evident when there are large benchmark graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    More FUD.

I played it with high quality using FOSS Radeon drivers on a crappy graphics card.

It won't run at 1080p (it will, but it won't be playable), but a lower resolution like 1280x1024 is fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X