Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S3TC Now Golden For Linux & Open-Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    What decent titles are there for Linux anyway?

The way I see it the only way to run decent titles on Linux is by using Wine. Mesa is already quite capable of running games under Wine, it's just that the fps is nothing to write home about. Personally, I'd rather see that the developers prioritized performance optimizations over new GL 3 features.
    You will have black textures under Wine too without S3TC on those titles.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
      S3TC is not required for any OpenGL, although lots of games don't run without it.

The real blocker for implementing OpenGL (the version 3.0 in particular) is floating-point renderbuffers:

http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs...ture_float.txt
      At least debian (and probably Ubuntu also when it will sync current debian package in 12.04) is officially enabling it:

Comment

Anyone know who actually owns the floating point patent? It says it was originally assigned to SGI but SGI dont exist anymore.

Comment

Interested about the floating point textures being enabled in Debian. I hadn't seen any discussion of it on the relevant graphics lists, but maybe I missed it. Is the reasoning here that the patent only covers the implementation of the rendering pipeline using FP textures and so hardware-backed drivers can freely use them since the patented algorithms are all in the hardware? Or are the patents just being ignored by the Debian folks? I hope people aren't just ignoring it in any way, because the FP patent is being actively used to harass and shakedown organizations: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...nst-apple.html

Comment

A lot of other stuff that was disabled due to patents has recently been enabled again, H264 encoding, MP3 encoding etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if libtxc-dxtn would be accepted too, if somebody goes to the trouble of uploading it.

Not sure what the reasoning behind this move is though.

Comment

Dunno, maybe OIN is somehow involved with this?

Comment

Disappointing.
                The title made me believe that it's relevant to BSDs too.

Comment

Originally posted by bug! View Post
                  Disappointing.
                  The title made me believe that it's relevant to BSDs too.
                  Just out of curiosity. What bsds have that Linux hasn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Just out of curiosity. What bsds have that Linux hasn't?
                    Well working ZFS, for example.

Comment

patents have a limited shelf life. many of them will expire soon enough

Comment

Working...
                      X