Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPEG4 Part 2 In Gallium3D VDPAU State Tracker

Phoronix: MPEG4 Part 2 In Gallium3D VDPAU State Tracker

A few patches have been published today for the VDPAU state tracker in Mesa's Gallium3D...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seeing is believing

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    However, before getting too excited
    You can say that again.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    MPEG1 and MPEG2 are the other formats currently supported by Gallium3D's VDPAU state tracker.
    Last time I checked (yesterday) MPEG2 was not working on my r600 hw. It only gave me green stripes and a hanging X server in full screen.

I will only believe it if I see it :-)

Taking away my sarcasm, I have to say that it's great that finally there are people dealing with this, and of course I'm grateful for that.

Comment

Verygood.
      I have problem igp 785g (green stripes), but work with amd radeon 5450.
      :-) thanks for works

Comment

It would be nice if you could give us an idea of what it will take to get support for this in, say, the r600g driver. I am under the impression that the ideal for Gallium3D is that you don't need any driver-side work in order to support things like this. Of course, given the relative youth of Gallium3D, one could imagine that this MPEG4 Part 2 support might exercise the drivers in ways they haven't been exercised before, necessitating new code and bugfixes. I would appreciate it if somebody could list at least some of those necessary features and bugfixes.

Comment

Useless.

My 8 years old machine can decode high definition DivX/XviD/MPEG4p2 on the CPU without breaking a sweat; doing this on a modern machine is a joke resource-wise.

If someone's doing this for fun - fair enough, but it is a waste of time and resources which could have been allocated elsewhere. (*cough* H264 decoding *cough*)
          Last edited by kiputnik; 31 October 2011, 08:36 PM.

Comment

hello, nice to know how powerful it would be the video card to decode mpeg4 and how shaders are used, same with h264(future)

Comment

Originally posted by kiputnik View Post
              Useless.

My 8 years old machine can decode high definition DivX/XviD/MPEG4p2 on the CPU without breaking a sweat; doing this on a modern machine is a joke resource-wise.

If someone's doing this for fun - fair enough, but it is a waste of time and resources which could have been allocated elsewhere. (*cough* H264 decoding *cough*)
              YOU are useless.
              In order to perform mpeg4p2 decoding, you need to implement A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.
              In order to perform H264 decoding, you need to implement A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, and L.
              So you start by implementing A->G, which has to be done ANYWAY, test it, and then do the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by kiputnik View Post
                Useless.

But there is support for VC1 to, wich your old machine cant decode.

Comment

Working...
                X