X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the exception that normal depth perception does not cause headaches :P

Comment

<insert stupid quote about LCD not being color complient>
      <answer that Dell has one that actually does deliver good color, but you never saw one in action>

<insert something about missing color management>
      <answer something about Windows having color management for everything on your screen>

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
      Depth perception in humans is a "brain fscking illusion" in the first place.
      Except that your head doesn't explode from percieving depth in a surface that has no depth and therefore results in massive headaches over a period of time.

When I play a game like Need For Speed Hot Persuit 2010, I can see all kinds of fancy effects that don't fool my brain into believing that anything is correct, simply because all effects are like a painting versus a photo. Nothing fools me.

And then they say ray tracing is inferior... Well at least that which is painted on the screen is actually believable...

Comment

How do you think your brain knows there's "real" depth? It doesn't go there and touch it. It's because each one of your eyes sends different images to it. That's exactly what 3D displays try to do; send different images to your left and right eye.

The technique needs to be perfected (the imperfections cause the headaches,) but the principle of it is same as with naturally-perceived depth. It doesn't matter in the least whether there's "real" depth or not. Reality is what your brain perceives. If that perception can be cloned perfectly, then for your brain, that's reality.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          How do you think your brain knows there's "real" depth? It doesn't go there and touch it. It's because each one of your eyes sends different images to it. That's exactly what 3D displays try to do; send different images to your left and right eye.

The technique needs to be perfected (the imperfections cause the headaches,) but the principle of it is same as with naturally-perceived depth. It doesn't matter in the least whether there's "real" depth or not. Reality is what your brain perceives. If that perception can be cloned perfectly, then for your brain, that's reality.
          Quite right. There's no difference at all, other than the fact that it's very difficult to fake this stuff well enough to fool your brain.

Your eyes are constantly getting different images depending on the exact angle they are viewing something at. Even if you moved the monitor into a pair of goggles over your eyes, they expect to see something slightly different depending on whether you are focusing slightly to the left, right, or staring straight ahead. Until technology is at the point where it can track your eye movements exactly, it will be difficult to perfect the technology.

Perhaps eventually we'll all have corneal implants that can overlay video directly onto our optic nerves. I imagine that would simplify the problems a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            How do you think your brain knows there's "real" depth?
            Because it has learned how to contract eye mussels based on angle, distance (IF this distance THEN that contraction, so it's X far away from screen and gets brainfucked because the percieved depth is not the depth that your eye mussels need to contract to see that very depth on the screen) and surrounding object which border with the flat brainfuck 2D surface. Even color desaturation.

It doesn't go there and touch it.
            No; it expects it and contracts eye mussels to accomodate the situation. Given that if you don't have an eye filling-, movement and distance tracing, color desaturating-, eye-tracking-, non-shuttering movie and auto image adjusting movie (practically impossible); your brain will still get fucking annoyed and your physical eye mussels are killing itself.

It's because each one of your eyes sends different images to it. That's exactly what 3D displays try to do; send different images to your left and right eye.
            Yeah... that's the effect. Now how the fuck your brain and eye angles work is different.

The technique needs to be perfected (the imperfections cause the headaches,)
            Dream on. You either build the Matrix(TM), or you can't.
            Last edited by V!NCENT; 18 September 2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

That is something that light field displays and cameras can solve.

(Seriously, it's neat and works for real google it.)

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                That is something that light field displays and cameras can solve.

(Seriously, it's neat and works for real google it.)
                1. No color desaturation based on distance (because it's not tracking);
                2. It flickers like hell;
                3. It does not move what you percieve as x distance from your eyes, to x distance from your eyes.

If something that's supposed to be x miles away from your eyes, not x miles away from your eyes, then you eye mussels will contract to something that's x miles away from your eyes, loose the focus, gets repetative strain injury to the mussels.

But hey, this shit realy works... No shit, we know that it works. The problem is that it kills my eye mussels.
                Last edited by V!NCENT; 18 September 2011, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  we know that it works. The problem is that it kills my eye mussels.
                  IIRC that's because the image distance is fixed even though the two images give your brain enough information to perceive distance. Your eyes try to focus at the distance your brain calculates from the depth cues, which makes the image blurry... something like that anyways. I stress the IIRC at the front.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    IIRC Your eyes try to focus at the distance your brain calculates from the depth cues, which makes the image blurry...
                    Exactly. So when your brain tries to compensate, the visual depth information doesn't match your corrected eye mussel contraction, resulting in a 3D effect that your brain doesn't believe. It behaves in a certain way, like emulates focus, but it doesn't fool me.

So I'd rather have not everyone trying to screw with my depth perception, but rather have a meter deep holograph, so I really see depth, but not necessarily have to feel immersed. It would look a lot better anyway, too.
                    Last edited by V!NCENT; 18 September 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Of course its common knowledge why 3d screens are flawed and cause side effects, however I'm lucky enough to be one of those who adapt to 3d screens well enough (depending on the nature of the content) not to get headaches or noticeable eye strain.

Clearly the tech is bad for many people and even I do turn 3d off for some 3ds games, often purely due to it being a visual distraction rather than a headache.

Still I like seeing many films in 3d and hope that a pill is promptly invented that allows non wobbly eyed people to fully enjoy 3d films/games/screens without sickness. Surely modern medical tech can ensure the 3ds's success?

Comment

Working...
                      X