X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by glasen View Post
    The "i810"-DRI-module was used only for the i810 and i815-chipsets. All other chipsets newer than this use the "i915" (i830 - i945) or the "i965"-DRI-module (i965 and above).
    Okay, then why are you talking about your i855 if it's unrelated to the topic?

Leave a comment:

• glasen
    replied
    What are you talking about? The "i810"-DRI-module was used only for the i810 and i815-chipsets. All other chipsets newer than this use the "i915" (i830 - i945) or the "i965"-DRI-module (i965 and above).

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Just because you're using Mesa 7.10.3, it doesn't mean you're using the i810 driver. Furthermore, even if you are, it doesn't mean that the i810 driver doesn't freeze on lots of other hardware/systems other than yours.

Leave a comment:

• glasen
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Ubuntu is using the vesa driver as the default, which is why it works better, so your argument only supports the viewpoint you quoted. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus
    Believe, i know what i'm talking about.

The 855GM-chipset flawlessly works if you're using kernel-version 2.6.38+, the Intel graphics driver 2.16 (without SNA) and Mesa 7.10.3+. Ubuntu 11.04 delivers two of these three things but can update the graphics driver to version 2.16 very easily.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by glasen View Post
    That is not true. Support for i8xx was more or less broken for nearly a year but in the last months the support is getting better again. For example Ubuntu 11.04 works way much better than Ubuntu 10.04 on this chips.
    Ubuntu is using the vesa driver as the default, which is why it works better, so your argument only supports the viewpoint you quoted. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    (Repeat after me: I will not post while being high on [enter name of substance here])
    Hey, I've made some of my best posts on <substance>, and people still make inane posts on <blue pill>. Leave the drugz out of it, NARC.

Leave a comment:

• glasen
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It was worth it for those with the $new_chips. Entirely not worth it for those with i8xx.
    That is not true. Support for i8xx was more or less broken for nearly a year but in the last months the support is getting better again. For example Ubuntu 11.04 works way much better than Ubuntu 10.04 on this chips.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It was worth it for those with the $new_chips. Entirely not worth it for those with i8xx.
    The question is - what is the greater good.
    By time Intel decided to remove the cruft, most of the user base of **new** distributions were already using $new_chips instead of obsolete i810 supported devices.
    Keep in mind that if you are using an old machine, you're most likely -far- better of with using older, long term distribution (such as SL/CentOS/RHEL as old as 4.x) instead of using Ubuntu and Fedora.

E.g. my PII/333Mhz/MACH64/256MB laptop will most likely use CentOS 5.x till it dies.

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Remember how Intel cleaned up its driver stack? People complained but it was worth it, cause now, like a year and a half later, the Intel driver is waaay better.
    So I'm all for another clean up.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    This just proves the obvious fact:
    ............ Developers can't come up with a stable ABI

What was it Tesla said, "My method is different. I do not rush into actual work. When I get a new idea, I start at once building it up in my imagination, and make improvements and operate the device in my mind. When I have gone so far as to embody everything in my invention, every possible improvement I can think of, and when I see no fault anywhere, I put into concrete form the final product of my brain.”

Jesus, if only more developers would invoke this carnal knowledge.

Another good one:

"If _________ had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
    I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”

Substitute a few peoples names in there it gets hilarious.
    Torvalds, Cox, Packard

You do understand that your post (a) has nothing to do with the subject at hand and (b) is borderline bullshit, right?
    (Repeat after me: I will not post while being high on [enter name of substance here])

- Gilboa

Leave a comment:

Working...
X