Legacy Mesa Drivers Receive Their Death Sentence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It was worth it for those with the $new_chips. Entirely not worth it for those with i8xx.
    That is not true. Support for i8xx was more or less broken for nearly a year but in the last months the support is getting better again. For example Ubuntu 11.04 works way much better than Ubuntu 10.04 on this chips.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      (Repeat after me: I will not post while being high on [enter name of substance here])
      Hey, I've made some of my best posts on <substance>, and people still make inane posts on <blue pill>. Leave the drugz out of it, NARC.

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
        That is not true. Support for i8xx was more or less broken for nearly a year but in the last months the support is getting better again. For example Ubuntu 11.04 works way much better than Ubuntu 10.04 on this chips.
        Ubuntu is using the vesa driver as the default, which is why it works better, so your argument only supports the viewpoint you quoted. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Ubuntu is using the vesa driver as the default, which is why it works better, so your argument only supports the viewpoint you quoted. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus
          Believe, i know what i'm talking about.

The 855GM-chipset flawlessly works if you're using kernel-version 2.6.38+, the Intel graphics driver 2.16 (without SNA) and Mesa 7.10.3+. Ubuntu 11.04 delivers two of these three things but can update the graphics driver to version 2.16 very easily.

Comment

Just because you're using Mesa 7.10.3, it doesn't mean you're using the i810 driver. Furthermore, even if you are, it doesn't mean that the i810 driver doesn't freeze on lots of other hardware/systems other than yours.

Comment

What are you talking about? The "i810"-DRI-module was used only for the i810 and i815-chipsets. All other chipsets newer than this use the "i915" (i830 - i945) or the "i965"-DRI-module (i965 and above).

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
                The "i810"-DRI-module was used only for the i810 and i815-chipsets. All other chipsets newer than this use the "i915" (i830 - i945) or the "i965"-DRI-module (i965 and above).
                Okay, then why are you talking about your i855 if it's unrelated to the topic?

Comment

Because of this excerpt from Michaels article:

The only one of these DRI1 hardware drivers that still might be missed by a small portion of users would be the i810 driver, which provides the Intel Mesa support for pre-i915 IGPs. This though shouldn't be a terrible shock. Intel engineers haven't given a damn about the i810/855 series for years since some of this old hardware was already fairly problematic just when it came to mode-setting and there was already a host of DDX issues when migrating to the GEM-enabled KMS-only stack.

Comment

Right. Just to be clear: the proposal is to remove support for the original i810, which uses a separate "i810" DRI1 driver. Ian did not propose removing support for i830/845/852/855/865, which uses the "i915" DRI2 driver.

Michael is correct in that all the 8xx chipsets are basically unsupported at this point, though...we might remove 3D support for those at some point in the future (but not today!).
                    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Darn... Still using savage, tdfx and r128 here... I actually find it more satisfying to resurrect old systems than to participate in FPS bragging contests.

Oh well, there are a couple of distros aimed at old HW anyway, there's hoping legacy Mesa will be in maintenance mode through those.

Comment

Working...
                      X