Sandybridge HD 3000, mesa, wine and Starcraft 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandybridge HD 3000, mesa, wine and Starcraft 2

Right now, I play Starcraft 2 but I also use Fedora as my main operating system. I use Fedora because I am able to do more with it than Windows despite having been a long term Windows user I switched to using Linux primarily about five years ago having had several dual boot setups favoring Windows before that.
    So at the moment I have Fedora which I use but I also have Windows. I would like to get rid of Windows because I only use it to play Starcraft 2.
    My problem however, is that although Starcraft 2 will run in wine, it requires an add in card and the use of one of the blob drivers. I don't have an add in card and buying one is not an option at the moment.
    What I have is a sandybridge machine with HD3000 graphics and it won't allow me to play starcraft 2 using wine because it appears that mesa lacks all of the opengl extensions required by wine to run starcraft 2.

So my questions are these : Does anyone have any idea how far away mesa is from supporting the opengl spec enough to play starcraft 2? And is there a way to find out what extensions are missing from mesa which wine needs to run starcraft2?

(On a side note, you can go try Starcraft 2 using wine right now for free, if you have a good nvidia or ati card and are using the proprietary drivers : Starcraft 2 starter edition)

Originally posted by Hey! Dojo View Post
    So my questions are these : Does anyone have any idea how far away mesa is from supporting the opengl spec enough to play starcraft 2?
    Sadly, it's not only about supporting the spec. It's also about being fast. And that's gonna be a big problem. I don't expect open source graphics to catch up to Windows and binary blobs any time soon. I think we're years away from high perfomance OSS graphics. Try next decade or so.

Full spec compliance is probably going to happen much sooner than that. But without the performance to match it, it won't be of much use to demanding 3D applications.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Sadly, it's not only about supporting the spec. It's also about being fast. And that's gonna be a big problem. I don't expect open source graphics to catch up to Windows and binary blobs any time soon. I think we're years away from high perfomance OSS graphics.
      That's simply not an issue in this case. I have already mentioned it's a sandybridge with HD3000. See Windows 7 vs. Linux With Sandy Bridge New Acceleration Architecture and Intel Sandy Bridge Speeds Up On Linux 3.1 Kernel to understand why.
      Each OSS video driver is different even if they do share a good amount of libraries/software (xserver, kernel, mesa.)

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Full spec compliance is probably going to happen much sooner than that. But without the performance to match it, it won't be of much use to demanding 3D applications.
      This is a wildly overblown generalization of your opinion which is neither helpful or factual.
      I'm really just after answers to my questions. I don't really have much interest in a discussion about what people think about OSS video drivers.

Thanks for your input but it wasn't anything like I was looking for and does not answer either of my questions.

Comment

Why don't you list what the game needs? It's not like starcraft 2 is uber-popular among here, and wine should tell you what's missing.

Comment

It is (or at least has been) possible to play the SC2 demo with both r300g and r600g, I doubt that the i965 is much behind, but if it is, file bug reports.

Comment

Working...
          X