Testing Out Mesa's GLSL-To-TGSI Translator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On-Topic:

Either Mesa's IR is doing good job or the alternative GLSL is doing a bad job There is almost no difference between them. Also i must admit the CPU usage is a nice thing, it should be used at most tests be it disk tests, filesystem or graphics. It shows us how "efficient" the code is.

Off-Topic:
    No matter what is written on this forum Michael get's abused every time, if i were him i'd just tell everyone to f*** *** if they don't like it, i actually feel sorry for all the abuses he is taking. I am with you Michael, you are not perfect always but you don't deserve definitely the abuses from some trolls...

Comment

I don't know why people are complaining about performance. This work was about reducing complexity and adding features, not about performance.

The extra step through the Mesa IR really isn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But it made things unnecessarily complex, and that's a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        I don't know why people are complaining about performance. This work was about reducing complexity and adding features, not about performance.

The extra step through the Mesa IR really isn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But it made things unnecessarily complex, and that's a bad thing.
        Is there any wiki explaining pros and cons of this solution?

Comment

Originally posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
          Either Mesa's IR is doing good job or the alternative GLSL is doing a bad job There is almost no difference between them. Also i must admit the CPU usage is a nice thing, it should be used at most tests be it disk tests, filesystem or graphics. It shows us how "efficient" the code is.
          It's not really who's doing a "good job" or "bad job". It's that Mesa IR and TGSI are so similar that translating from GLSL->TGSI produces almost the same code as GLSL->Mesa->TGSI.

Also, the CPU usage is actually irrelevant in this particular test, since the translator is only run once for each shader and isn't running during the whole test.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i allready use : GLSL-To-TGSI Translator

the biggest bugs are allready fixed.

the only ugly bug i can tell is a flash window mode black or white flickering bug.
          Are you sure that's a problem with glsl_to_tgsi?

It's good to know that there's at least one well-informed person in these forums.

No.

Comment

Plombo, how is this going to affect the work intel is doing on the GLSL compiler?

AFAIK, they don't use TGSI, and have no intention of doing it, and are using Mesa IR directly like before.

Comment

Plombo, how is this going to affect the work intel is doing on the GLSL compiler?

AFAIK, they don't use TGSI, and have no intention of doing it, and are using Mesa IR directly like before.
              It won't affect it at all. ir_to_mesa is still there, and it isn't going away any time soon.

By the way, Intel has actually moved away from ir_to_mesa for i965 fragment shaders; they wrote a custom IR backend to code generate directly for the GPU without going through Mesa IR. They still use it for i915 and i965 vertex shaders as far as I know, though.

Comment

Pros vs Cons:

GLSL IR -> MESA IR -> TGSI

becomes

GLSL IR -> TGSI

So it simplifies gallium by removing an unnecessary step.

The other benefit is that GLSL IR and TGSI (mostly) support GLSL 1.3, while MESA IR is stuck at the 1.2 level. And no one really seemed interested in adding 1.3 support to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                  It won't affect it at all. ir_to_mesa is still there, and it isn't going away any time soon.
                  Will mesa_to_tgsi be removed, then?

EDIT: Is glsl-to-tgsi still missing the optimizations done in mesa IR? Would porting them to glsl-to-tgsi improve generated shaders?
                  Last edited by oibaf; 22 July 2011, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                    Yes, but how are Gallium drivers going to make advantage of all the Intel work then? If Mesa IR is completely bypassed, then it can't be used directly.

Can it be easily ported?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
                      Proofreading is important. It is unprofessional if there are glaring errors.
                      You know, most human brains actualy read the first and last letter in each word, check all the letters in the middle (without being in any order) and then recognise the word.

If this realy bothers you then I have to wonder how damaged you brain actually is...

Comment

Working...
                      X