No announcement yet.

Testing Out Mesa's GLSL-To-TGSI Translator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, most human brains actualy read the first and last letter in each word, check all the letters in the middle (without being in any order) and then recognise the word.

If this realy bothers you then I have to wonder how damaged you brain actually is...
    Taht olny wkros if ebvdoyery kowns the croerct slepling to bigen wtih. Just because words can be understood that doesn't make them easy to read.

Spelling words correctly is surely a good thing - it makes communication easier. It seems clear that to some extent you agree; otherwise why would you put (most of) the letters in the words of your quoted post in the correct order? How do you write your CV?

With that said, we all come here because it offers us something that we cannot get elsewhere (or possibly not so easily), and for that I think a few typographical errors are a small price to pay

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      You know, most human brains actualy read the first and last letter in each word, check all the letters in the middle (without being in any order) and then recognise the word.

If this realy bothers you then I have to wonder how damaged you brain actually is...
      Try that with your next job application.

Don't forget to mention the "damaged brain" part.

Comment

Moreover, an article can be 100% grammatically and syntactically correct and still be hard to read or just yuck. Communication and writing are skills. For some people they come natural, while other people could use a little teaching.

As for any other job, if you want to make a living out of writing articles then I think it's important that you are skilled in what you are doing. I think it would be beneficial, not just for his readers, but also for himself, if Michael would sign up for a writing course.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          Moreover, an article can be 100% grammatically and syntactically correct and still be hard to read or just yuck. Communication and writing are skills. For some people they come natural, while other people could use a little teaching.

As for any other job, if you want to make a living out of writing articles then I think it's important that you are skilled in what you are doing. I think it would be beneficial, not just for his readers, but also for himself, if Michael would sign up for a writing course.
          The whole issue just comes down to time... Why I quickly run spell check and why I'll just skim through the article as proofreading. Not that I am going through in great detail and then failing, but I simply don't have any more time to spend.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
            Will mesa_to_tgsi be removed, then?
            No, it's still needed for assembly and texenv shaders. If Intel ever finishes their work to generate GLSL IR for all the shaders in Mesa, then it could possibly be removed.

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
            EDIT: Is glsl-to-tgsi still missing the optimizations done in mesa IR? Would porting them to glsl-to-tgsi improve generated shaders?
            The only Mesa IR optimization that I ported to glsl_to_tgsi is simplify_cmp(). But with that said, most of the optimization problems in glsl_to_tgsi were resolved when I wrote a more advanced dead code elimination pass. There is only one Mesa IR optimization missing from glsl_to_tgsi that I've found to actually make a difference in the shader output: the pass that eliminates extra moves to output registers. But that's actually just covering up a problem in the GLSL compiler - the pass should really be implemented there.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Yes, but how are Gallium drivers going to make advantage of all the Intel work then? If Mesa IR is completely bypassed, then it can't be used directly.

Can it be easily ported?
            Which Intel work? The GLSL compiler obviously passes through glsl_to_tgsi just like it does ir_to_mesa. They don't actively do any work on prog_optimize, which contains the Mesa IR optimization passes. If you mean ir_to_mesa, then yes, changes to ir_to_mesa can be easily ported to glsl_to_tgsi. Although Intel doesn't make that many changes to ir_to_mesa; it's mostly bugfixes at this point.
            Last edited by Plombo; 22 July 2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X