No announcement yet.

MLAA For Mesa Is Ready For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New version uploaded that does print average fps for both on and off cases.

Originally posted by whizse View Post
    Possibly a silly question, but how does MLAA fit in when an application, let's say ETQW, asks for anti-aliasing? Does it ask for a specific method to be used, or is it up to the OpenGL implementation to provide whatever it thinks is fitting?
    The app always asks for a specific type (MSAA usually, but FSAA is available, and the app can ask for vendor-specific things like CSAA etc too). MLAA is not in the GL spec, so it can't be requested.

The idea was to let the user specify (via driconf or env var) when to enable MLAA, similar to Catalyst. Having a Mesa-specific GL extension for this would not see much use.

Comment

Aha, that's good to know, thanks for the explanation!

Comment

So...this MLAA is entirely in software/shader, and not actual GPU anti-aliasing method?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          So...this MLAA is entirely in software/shader, and not actual GPU anti-aliasing method?
          Yes, MLAA is typically implemented as a post-processing filter. Ideally I guess you would run it after rendering the game imagery but before rendering text (eg HUD).
          Test signature

Comment

problem?

I get the following output, and the sphere is definitely not aa.

I'm on mesa 7.10.3. Would switching to latest svn help?

[stephen@goodt60 MLAA-test-app]$ ./mlaatest
            Irrlicht Engine version 1.7.2
            Linux 2.6.39-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 27 22:01:13 CEST 2011 i686
            ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
            Using renderer: OpenGL 2.1
            Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515: X.Org R300 Project
            OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
            GLSL version: 1.2
            Loaded texture: AreaMap33
            Unsupported texture format
            GLSL shader failed to compile
            0:4(12): warning: extension `GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' unsupported in fragment shader
            0:0(0): error: no matching function for call to `texture2DLod(sampler2D, vec2, float)'
            0:16(86): error: `return' with wrong type , in function `tex2Doffset' returning vec4
            0:0(0): error: no matching function for call to `texture2DLod(sampler2D, vec2, float)'
            0:72(48): error: type mismatch
            0:72(48): error: `return' with wrong type , in function `Area' returning vec2
            0:88(54): error: type mismatch
            0:89(54): error: type mismatch
            0:103(54): error: type mismatch
            0:104(54): error: type mismatch

Quit message received.

Ran 28.004s, average fps 198.50, min 1

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
              I get the following output, and the sphere is definitely not aa.

I'm on mesa 7.10.3. Would switching to latest svn help?

Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515: X.Org R300 Project
              GLSL shader failed to compile
              0:4(12): warning: extension `GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod' unsupported in fragment shader
              0:16(86): error: `return' with wrong type , in function `tex2Doffset' returning vec4
              0:72(48): error: type mismatch
              0:72(48): error: `return' with wrong type , in function `Area' returning vec2
              0:88(54): error: type mismatch
              0:89(54): error: type mismatch
              0:103(54): error: type mismatch
              0:104(54): error: type mismatch

Quit message received.

Ran 28.004s, average fps 198.50, min 1
              "It requires OpenGL 2.0 and GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod (Mesa 7.11, 7.10 does not have that). [...]"

Please reread the announcement

Comment

Code:
                Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.0-alpha
                Linux 3.0.0-drm #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 5 18:40:40 CEST 2011 x86_64
                Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER: X.Org
                Could not load sprite bank because the file does not exist: #DefaultFont
                Quit message received.

Ran 122.932s, average fps 274.87, min 1

Average on fps 3033.53, average off fps 235.15

MLAA took on average 0.3ms
                that output is obviously wrong.

Beside this error: I'm wondering if the FPS output with the sphere is really right, but the sphere shows more FPS if the window is in the lower right corner (~600FPS). In the upper left corner I get ~250FPS. Both without MLAA. With MLAA it's ~77FPS and ~74FPS so it's not that visible but still the case.

Comment

Again...

Ok, I've compiled the latest mesa/ati-dri/libgl from git. My display is pretty wonkey so I won't be keeping this setup long (colours are all wrong e.g.)

However, here is the new output:
                  Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe: VMware, Inc.
                  Quit message received.

Ran 16.368s, average fps 82.66, min 1

The title bar said MPAA: Off

Of course with such wonky display I couldn't really tell how it looked.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                    Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe: VMware, Inc.
                    You're running the software renderer there, instead of the r300g driver.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                      that output is obviously wrong.

Beside this error: I'm wondering if the FPS output with the sphere is really right, but the sphere shows more FPS if the window is in the lower right corner (~600FPS). In the upper left corner I get ~250FPS. Both without MLAA. With MLAA it's ~77FPS and ~74FPS so it's not that visible but still the case.
                      Window position anomaly - maybe caused by your compositor?

Timing wrong - possibly. Could also be that you use a newer irrlicht, as the title bar fps is taken from irr.

Comment

Working...
                      X